pc freezes at windows setup screen

Matt26

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
i am having an issue with setting up windows xp on my pc- the xp setup disc is booted when the computer is powered on and all the files seems to load fine- the first screen where it prompts you to press F2 or F6 and then process to load setup files- but one the next screen appears- press Enter to setup XP, R to repair etc, the pc freezes completey- they keyboard won't even respond. sometimes the pc will not freeze and i can proceed through the menus, but most of the time this is where it freezes.

i have tried a number of windows install discs- both for xp and windows 2000- and all these discs have been used for successfull installations in the past- and they all freeze in the same place.

i have replaced the optical drive, the RAM (using only 1 stick now) and the HDD and i still get the same issue.

i have reseated the CPU and even placed a large desk fan beside the case for cooling the cpu in case this was an overheating issue but still the same results.

i have even tried loading an old copy of windows 2000 from a set of floppy disks to see what would happen, and sure enough, the pc freezes onnce again in the same place.

i have been able to successfully install ubuntu on the pc however after rebooting once the installation was completed it appears that the OS boot process crashes.

does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on this issue?

my hardware is as follows:
asus a7v8x-x motherboard
amd athlon xp 2500+ cpu
256MB DDR PC2100 RAM
60GB IDE 7200RM hard drive

thanks.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Doesn't sound like your trying to set up a RAID array so first thing to do is enter the BIOS and double check that if the board has a RAID controller it is set to Disabled. Sounds like it could be freezing because it can't find a hard drive to install too.

Matt26

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
there is no RAID controller on the motherboard, and i have used other tools that have found the hard drive without issue.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
How old is your hard drive?
If it is 5+ years old then you may want to replace it and try again. You should be able to find a suitable replacement for 40 bucks online.