Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drive troubles.......At a loss of words.

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2010 9:26:10 AM

Lurking awhile and I really like the help that's offered here so I figured id try a go. I found an old hard drive Its an old maxtor. It is detected in Device manager only. Disk management Maxtors utility software are unable to locate the drive. The stats in device manager give it 0's across the board and I'm a little confused and how this is.

I deleted 3 partitions using easeus partition master and attempted to make it one drive and it failed. i rebooted and kept trying and to no avail. I would appreciate some advice thanks in advance:D 

BTW this is a secondary hard drive. Main drive c: is working fine.

ETA
a b G Storage
January 6, 2010 11:22:54 AM

Download a trial version of Acronis disk director. Delette all partition in that drive. Create a new one with NTFS. Format the drive. That should do it.

Best solution

a c 329 G Storage
January 6, 2010 2:15:05 PM

For starters, you should be checking an old drive to see whether it has hardware problems that will prevent its use entirely (or, maybe if lucky, can be fixed). For this you need utilities from the HDD maker. Maxtor was bought by Seagate and their website covers both product names. I recommend you go there and download their Seatools for DOs utility package. Further, I suggest you get the version that has you use it to burn your own utilities on a CD-R disk that is bootable. Then you put that disk in your optical drive and boot from it, completely independent of your OS (Windows or whatever). Running from the min-DOS it installs in your RAM, you can run all of its hardware tests on the old Maxtor, maybe even fix some problems it finds. If it says you have no hardware problems unresolved, then you start using other tools.

Assuming you have no need for any of data on that Maxtor, your first step after hardware diagnosis should be to get rid of all old traces of stuff. For this, download for free (again) also from the Seagate site their utility Disk Wizard, and install it on your existing C: drive. It is a customized free version of Acronis True Image. Also be sure to download the user manual for this mutli-use utility. Use it to Delete all Partitions on that old Maxtor. Then Create a new Primary Partition (maybe using all of the disk space in one volume) and (assuming you don't plan to boot from the disk) make it not bootable. In the formatting section have it install the NTFS File System unless you know you have a reason to need FAT32. wWen done, exit the Disk Wizard software.

Reboot your machine so it can recognize the newly-prepared HDD unit. After that you should be able to find the drive in My Computer and use it.
Related resources
January 7, 2010 7:01:52 AM

So I followed your advice to the letter Paperdoc and your solution worked in a way. The drive has more 99+ errors and is unfix-able. I appreciate the time you took and would like to thank you for answering the question. Keep up the good work :D 
a c 329 G Storage
January 7, 2010 1:40:23 PM

Glad we could help; sorry the drive is unusable, but better to know that now rather than lose something on it later.
January 8, 2010 4:36:06 PM

Paperdoc said:
Glad we could help; sorry the drive is unusable, but better to know that now rather than lose something on it later.

Exactly, because there is no better kick in the teeth then losing data you intended to back up.
!