Sign in with
Your question
Closed

RAID 5 data recovery if NAS/PC fails

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2010 10:11:38 AM

I am planning to use a RAID 5 setup for 4 HD's on iether a Synology NAS or my main PC which has a ASUS p5Q Deluxe motherboard.

In the event the NAS/PC that host my RAID 5 fails will it be possible to recover the data from my HD from another system. Let's say a completely different PC and motherboard?

What might be the process?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 415 G Storage
January 6, 2010 3:47:40 PM

Here's the rub: unless you actually test it, you can't rely on it.

If your data is really important to you, you need to have a separate backup strategy anyway, since RAID can' t protect you from many of the ways you can loose your data.

So before worrying about whether you can recover in the face of the RAID controller dying, make sure you have a sound backup strategy that includes 2 or more offline copies of your data, one of which is stored offsite.

If you do that, you'll find that RAID controller failure isn't such a big concern any more.
December 22, 2011 8:41:38 PM

sminlal said:
Here's the rub: unless you actually test it, you can't rely on it.

If your data is really important to you, you need to have a separate backup strategy anyway, since RAID can' t protect you from many of the ways you can loose your data.

So before worrying about whether you can recover in the face of the RAID controller dying, make sure you have a sound backup strategy that includes 2 or more offline copies of your data, one of which is stored offsite.

If you do that, you'll find that RAID controller failure isn't such a big concern any more.

What if the controller breaks and you do not have everything as a offline copy? Can you simply buy a new NAS in RAID5 and then put the disks back into the new system?
thanks
Score
Related resources
December 23, 2011 9:00:11 PM

From my research and my test results on what your asking NO. I'm going through the same situation right now and only have about 50% of data on DVD's or offline hard copies that I can find. As soon as I get the other 50% recovered I will be probably investing in a good Blu-Ray ReWriter.
Score
December 29, 2011 8:06:49 AM

Thanks and good luck with your recovering job. Just bought a similar NAS and will try if that works.
Score
February 6, 2012 10:22:49 AM

Best answer selected by cobykills.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2012 12:59:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!