Sign in with
Your question

Spinpoint f3 500GB Raid 0

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2010 10:47:07 AM

Got these in raid 0 going through a silicon image 3132 sata raid card in a pci-e x1 slot on an Asus P5QL PRO.
Why is the read speed on HD Tune so slow?

More about : spinpoint 500gb raid

January 6, 2010 1:21:07 PM

Did an ATTO benchmark too and the write speed seems about right but the read seem too low?

January 6, 2010 10:49:01 PM

Anyone got any ideas please??
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 7, 2010 1:17:44 AM

Just a guess, but you may be hitting a limit of the card or the slot. I would think that write might be slower than read as always. Check that you have the latest drivers for everything. Or, move the drives to the integrated intel controller, enable write back cache and re-run your benchmarks. You should get better scores if that is what you are looking for. I would not worry about the scores you have unless you need for streaming data faster than this. That is not the achilles heel of spinning disks, random read/writes are.
January 7, 2010 2:07:05 AM

goobaah said:
Just a guess, but you may be hitting a limit of the card or the slot. I would think that write might be slower than read as always. Check that you have the latest drivers for everything. Or, move the drives to the integrated intel controller, enable write back cache and re-run your benchmarks. You should get better scores if that is what you are looking for. I would not worry about the scores you have unless you need for streaming data faster than this. That is not the achilles heel of spinning disks, random read/writes are.

could be the card, Silicon Image is not known to be awesome for RAID (tough for 0 it really shouldn't matter much)

not the slot though PCI-E allows for 250 MB/s on an x1 slot (thats pci-e 1.0)
January 11, 2010 1:21:03 PM

Just a guess but could it be the card itself not the pcie slot or drives because my hd tune results don't tail off at the end like everyone else has i've seen. This means it cant be hitting the mechanical limits of the drives?
January 11, 2010 1:58:35 PM

well i have been searching and can't find any good reason for the bandwidth to be limited, though sequential bandwidth doesn't matter that much, its random read/write that matters

though 125MB/s is good, at least you don't have to worry about losing speed towards the end of the volume now
!