To Larrabee or not to Larrabee That is the ?

Dont understand why they would think this even allowing that its the inq saying it.
Isnt Larrabee a monsterous entity of a processing beast that will simply compute what ever you send its way Graphics/data ?

Mactronix

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
The inq is just so much fun to read. I'm just worried that one day they might actually anounce something true, but nobody will believe them.

IN THE INQUIRER WE TRUST!!!

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Well, it makes perfect sense. Besides, here's the description of the news: "Rumour mill has Intel courting Microsoft". Don't know what is all of this INQ bashing for.

That article is pure ****. Xbox "720" out before 2010? PS4 out before that? Yea, right. Cant believe I even clicked on that link.

Of course it's BS: you read what you wanted to read. "Intel also appears to be heding its bets by wooing Sony by going after the Playstation 4, which won’t be out until at least 2011. The Xbox720 will be out in the market a fair while before that." Have you noticed the "at least 2011" for the PS4? Basically, they only said the Xbox 720 will probably be out before the PS4, nothing more. The problem is they used "that" in the sentence, which gives you a point, but I think it was just a small mistake.

Anyway, that's such a killer deal [if it happens].

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

Because I typoed my own sentence means I "read what I wanted to read"? Give me a break.

Well, like the PS3 right now: If you have superv hardware, but have a crappy API for the programmers you won't get far by default. Cell is a fine thing alright, no one can't deny it, but programming for it sounds like a b!7ch.

Intel (according to what i read) wants to prevent that offering those "big console players" the benefit of going with "sugar daddy" Intel watching their investment and teaching the programmers. Kinda like imposing but it's not imposing at all, lol.

So... If M$ and/or Sony don't want Larrabee, Intel has no option but to make a nice funeral for it. All IMO, of course.

Esop!

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
^ Well, if they don't give a rip for lil Intel, who they give a rip for? AMD?

Wintel. The word says it all. They *have* to care - and they will.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

Well, actually, "read" was in the Past Tense, if that was sarcasm. If not, their "at least" is what makes your reply invalid, not the 2010/11 typo. Anyway, there's no reason whatsoever to bash an article that clearly states - right from the start - that it is nothing but a rumour. Besides, they haven't talked a specific date, but rather a possibility of one console being released before the other. My intention wasn't to bash you, but to point out that if something is being discussed as a rumour then there's no use in going wild and calling it BS. Those guys have it right most of the time, actually.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
LOL at the idiots slating the inquirer for this.

MS NEED a console deal to get developers developing specifically for Larrabee.

They are not going to beat ATI or Nvidia on their own turf, so Intel need to move the battlefield - they are going to do that by getting a console, and have ATI/Nvidia have to patch their drivers to work with the Larrabee developed games.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

A variation of ATI R500 I think...

Thats currently the problem with Larrabee, as it just wont simply plug in to current games. M$ has to consider the entire gaming industry, AMD, nVidia etc. This isnt just a "Intel will get what they want as always decsion", its much more than that. If Intel waants to come at this in a different way, certainly they have the resources for it, not to buy their way in, but earn they way

On the consoles arena, it's not like that. Intel can actually "buy" it's way in that market.

Each console gen has a different API to work with since it has a different hardware set and console OSes are not made like regular OSes. They work on tighter develop with hardware to optimize things. At least, to some degree.

Anyway, if Intel can't get it to the PC industry, i don't give a damn actually. More over, i don't know if Larrabee is going to be a good or bad thing! lol

Esop!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
maybe you are missing something Yuka! in the article said PC games are "derive" from console API and PC market is Intel's main target. so if it made it into console then obviously it will get into pc market(intel's main aim).

so its like:
Intel==win=>console bid(mass market) and console game=PC game! Intel double WIN!

It still has to be done in a way thats already known vs a way that isnt. More to do, more to adapt etc. M$ has to include all the game devs in their decision. This isnt business as usual, so to speak. The PS3, Ive heard is a b14+ch to have to wirk with, so too could this be.

Latest posts