speedy742j

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I am going to order a Q6600 from NewEgg today, does anyone know if you can specify a G0 Stepping or are they just shipping those now? Also, how can you tell if it is the G0 Stepping? Thanks.
Is this CPU the best bang for your buck at the moment in terms of OC'ing ability? Thanks.

you will get G0 stepping, the q6600 is out for so long now

when i build my rig using newegg for all parts I got the q6600 oem version meaning no heatsink included since I knew I will overclock that baby anyways.

its humming at 3.4ghz now, everybody is happy :)

forgot to add but when you will get processor there are engraved letters on it, there will be something along G0 on it.

if you get the q6600 with retail box including stock heatsink on the side there will be sticker mentioning that it is G0 stepping

speedy742j

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
perfect, thank you. In regards to system building; do you ever get much trouble fitting it all together - for example, cards not fitting or heatsinks profile being too high? I'm just wanting to put something together that works without too much stress!

all heatsinks are already installed on the mobo for the chipsets. for the CPU Fan there may be some issues with the fan not being able to fit because the CPU socket may be surrounded by several capacitorsor other motherboard components. this may not be an issue with a stock CPU fan but might be ior some aftermarket coolers. also some cable may be too short to run from the mobo to the drives. but sometimes its not the mobo's fault but also may be bacause of the case and how you can route your cables

I had problems when because my case opens from both sides right? So I happily installed the motherboard, seated the cpu, applied arctic silver5, ram sticks, then when I tried to close the side my aftermarket heatsink was hitting the top power supply so I was like s.o.b......had to unscrew the heatsink, close the case so the mobo fit inside and re do the thermal compound thing.

Also I was nervous when it came to motherboard connectors for front usb, microphone and headphones. I was smart enough to open the instruction manual and look the the pictures labeling all connectors and there they should go xD