Running dual processors

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I've got 2 identical gateway comps. Each have a P4 2.93Ghz processor in them. 1 has 1.5 GB DDR2 dual channel memory and the other has 500MB of the same. I need a bit more power to help me with some video editing I do. Mostly converting 1 media form factor to another. Say like DVD to MP4 to use on my player. It takes a lot of power to do and you can't do much else in the process. I figure if I get a board that support duel processors then that should help at least as far as multitasking is concerned. I can do that and say cruise the net simultaneously. I know that duel processors or even multicore processors do no good unless the program you're using was written to take advantage of multiprocessors. I just hope to get some improvement. I don't know what MB to get though any ideas? I need a reliable fast board that doesn't cost as much as buying a new computer. I'll have to worry about getting it to fit in a Gateway box later. I have another case if necessary. It's been so long since I've had a chance to read up on this stuff much less actually build one.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I can't think of a way to run dual pentium 4 processors. Even today, a board that runs dual CPUs isn't cheap. You'd be better off getting a new computer - you can score one, or build one cheap that will blow away your current rigs.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
If you really want it to be smoothe you need a quad core or even a i7 920 with 4 cores 8 threads.

If you would like me to convert something with my i7 920 just so you can get a idea what you could have just send me a pm, and I will be happy to do it for you.

4745454b

Titan
As a side note, you don't need a program to be multi core aware. A converting program that will use 2 or 4 cores will be faster, but the system overall might not be as responsive. This is because each core will still be in use. If you use a single thread converting program on a multi core system, one core will be used by the converting program, while another will be playing the game, or surfing the net. What I'm trying to say is that you don't need to worry about whether the program handles multi core systems, it will either run in less time or you'll be able to surf just fine.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

Man I just want to do a little editing I don't want to hurt anybody. :eek:

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

Yes I can. I already have it set up so I can use both machines from 1 station. At least I don't have to switch desks. Just isn't the most efficient setup. I will build a new rig here soon I hope. I want to wait for the price of the i7 to come down a bit. I like AMD and I keep hoping they'll come out with something to beat Intel again. I'm wondering if bankruptcy is more likely for them.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Being able to use both machines from one station is different than being able to use two processors on one motherboard.

I'm happy your setup is working for you.