Sign in with
Your question

7800 GTX sli question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2008 2:18:01 PM

Well I got 2 7800GTX video cards and a A8n sli deluxe motherboard. I tested them both alone and they work fine. When I try to go SLI for some resaon I can't get it to work. Vista 64 bit will NOT boot and will go into a constant restartt cycle. I have a dual OS machine, I can boot in XP 32 bit but it shows 8x single card only. There is no SLI option or detection. Both video cards have the same bios, one is n EVGA the other ASUS but the look exactly the same. Early release cards I figure since they got the same card bios. I went through the A8N sli deluxe BIOs and everyting for SLI is set to Auto. By trial and error and switching the cards, the card in the blue primary pci-e slot is always warm , the one in the secondaery slot is not. I assume that means the second card is not getting any load. The fans are working on both though. My power suppliy is a Silverstone Zeuse 650 watt. I was hoping not to have any problems because this is old tech and assume it must be somehting simple. I did change the sli selector card on the A8n mobo board to dual. I am using the latest drivers from Nvidia. The bridge connector is what came with the mobo. Anything I missed? Is there something else from Nivida or Asus to get SLI working on the board? The 4 pin power plug is inserted into the mobo with no red light. Current MOBO bios is 1016.

More about : 7800 gtx sli question

September 4, 2008 5:43:50 PM

If i recall correctly the A8N-SLI Deluxe came with a red PCB between the PCIE slots you had to flip`and plug again for SLI.
September 4, 2008 5:51:00 PM

yeah , it is black but i did flip for dual.
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 4, 2008 9:29:00 PM

Then get a better more powerful PSU.
September 5, 2008 4:28:38 AM

Well guys after fiddling around with it I got it working in XP 32. Fantastic. Now when I try to boot into Vista 64 I get error F8 screen or the constant reboot. If I disable dual video cards in mobo bios I can get into Vista 64. I tried the Vista 64 disk for a repair but it can't get beyond the blue screen. Is there a way to force Vista 64 to boot with 2 video cards? Since it works in XP32 I know hardware is fine , I am now facing a Vista 64 not working with a newly installed SLI issue.
September 5, 2008 11:55:15 AM

maximiza said:
Well guys after fiddling around with it I got it working in XP 32. Fantastic. Now when I try to boot into Vista 64 I get error F8 screen or the constant reboot. If I disable dual video cards in mobo bios I can get into Vista 64. I tried the Vista 64 disk for a repair but it can't get beyond the blue screen. Is there a way to force Vista 64 to boot with 2 video cards? Since it works in XP32 I know hardware is fine , I am now facing a Vista 64 not working with a newly installed SLI issue.

Better suggestion, have you tried upgrade your BIOS ?

Version 1805
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

Ohhh, and before you activate SLI or plug the second:

Quoting Asus
Quote:
To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below version prior to this Bios.
For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later
For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later
For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later
For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later

Vista isnt there, but i would update all chipset drivers before plugging the second one.

Ive checked the bios notes, and there is nothing related to your GPU in particular. But is always worth to do it. And if it works with WinXP 32 and facks ups in vista 64, will be even more worth.

PS: The versions i remember of that board the PCB was red :)  it was kinda a cool...now it is black...aaawwwwww.
!