Worms/Viruses and boot time

August 31, 2005 5:17:18 AM

Hi all --

So my computer got a virus, I decided to use system restore, and upon
doing that, my computer took about 7 full minutes to load (it's a 3.4
mgz Pent IV 100 gig HD 1 gig ram system) ---

I then ran various virus programs and saw instances of a worm (over
1000 instances) that somehow got unlocked when I ran the restore
program (is that even possible??)

Anyways, now I THINK (as I cross my fingers) that the virus is gone,
but now the boot time is STILL taking a long time (4 minutes plus).
Some questions:

1] does a full HD make a difference w/ regard to boot time?
2] Would reinstalling windows possibly make a difference?
3] is there a possible spyware/adware/registry problem that norton
would not have picked up?? I have some ad-ware programs too, but just
checking.

Thanks soooo much!

-Eric :mad:

--
ericuf
Anonymous

Hi Eric
I cant answer all of your questions but i do know that using system restore
does NOT get rid of a virus.
All symantic sites explain while getting rid of a virus you should turn off
system restore as the virus can hide in those partitions of your computer.
I just thought i would inform you of that for future reference that system
restore does not clean out viruses what so ever :)

"ericuf" wrote:

> Hi all --
>
> So my computer got a virus, I decided to use system restore, and upon
> doing that, my computer took about 7 full minutes to load (it's a 3.4
> mgz Pent IV 100 gig HD 1 gig ram system) ---
>
> I then ran various virus programs and saw instances of a worm (over
> 1000 instances) that somehow got unlocked when I ran the restore
> program (is that even possible??)
>
> Anyways, now I THINK (as I cross my fingers) that the virus is gone,
> but now the boot time is STILL taking a long time (4 minutes plus).
> Some questions:
>
> 1] does a full HD make a difference w/ regard to boot time?
> 2] Would reinstalling windows possibly make a difference?
> 3] is there a possible spyware/adware/registry problem that norton
> would not have picked up?? I have some ad-ware programs too, but just
> checking.
>
> Thanks soooo much!
>
> -Eric :mad:
>

> --
> ericuf

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:28:27 PM

In news:782A86B0-80F1-4D8E-9BF2-210BF3B10FBC@microsoft.com,
*Stuck* <Stuck@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Hi Eric
> I cant answer all of your questions but i do know that using
> system
> restore does NOT get rid of a virus.

Not quite true. It might or it might not get rid of a virus. It
depends on where the virus is. The virus *could* be in a file
that System Restore restores.

However we agree that it's *extremely* unwise to assume that
System restore will get rid of a virus. It's not the purpose of
System Restore, and it will work only seldom. The way to get rid
of a virus is to use anti-virus software.

Please reply to the newsgroup
September 1, 2005 3:38:37 AM

Norton doesnt, well usually, detect adware/malware. You have to use specific
apps for those, eg Adaware, Spybot etc

!