Worms/Viruses and boot time

Hi all --

So my computer got a virus, I decided to use system restore, and upon
doing that, my computer took about 7 full minutes to load (it's a 3.4
mgz Pent IV 100 gig HD 1 gig ram system) ---

I then ran various virus programs and saw instances of a worm (over
1000 instances) that somehow got unlocked when I ran the restore
program (is that even possible??)

Anyways, now I THINK (as I cross my fingers) that the virus is gone,
but now the boot time is STILL taking a long time (4 minutes plus).
Some questions:

1] does a full HD make a difference w/ regard to boot time?
2] Would reinstalling windows possibly make a difference?
3] is there a possible spyware/adware/registry problem that norton
would not have picked up?? I have some ad-ware programs too, but just
checking.

Thanks soooo much!

-Eric :mad:

--
ericuf
3 answers Last reply

    Hi Eric
    I cant answer all of your questions but i do know that using system restore
    does NOT get rid of a virus.
    All symantic sites explain while getting rid of a virus you should turn off
    system restore as the virus can hide in those partitions of your computer.
    I just thought i would inform you of that for future reference that system
    restore does not clean out viruses what so ever :)

    In news:782A86B0-80F1-4D8E-9BF2-210BF3B10FBC@microsoft.com,
    *Stuck* <Stuck@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Hi Eric
    > I cant answer all of your questions but i do know that using
    > system
    > restore does NOT get rid of a virus.

    Not quite true. It might or it might not get rid of a virus. It
    depends on where the virus is. The virus *could* be in a file
    that System Restore restores.

    However we agree that it's *extremely* unwise to assume that
    System restore will get rid of a virus. It's not the purpose of
    System Restore, and it will work only seldom. The way to get rid
    of a virus is to use anti-virus software.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Norton doesnt, well usually, detect adware/malware. You have to use specific
    apps for those, eg Adaware, Spybot etc

    "ericuf" <ericuf.1um5pn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi all --
    >
    > So my computer got a virus, I decided to use system restore, and upon
    > doing that, my computer took about 7 full minutes to load (it's a 3.4
    > mgz Pent IV 100 gig HD 1 gig ram system) ---
    >
    > I then ran various virus programs and saw instances of a worm (over
    > 1000 instances) that somehow got unlocked when I ran the restore
    > program (is that even possible??)
    >
    > Anyways, now I THINK (as I cross my fingers) that the virus is gone,
    > but now the boot time is STILL taking a long time (4 minutes plus).
    > Some questions:
    >
    > 1] does a full HD make a difference w/ regard to boot time?
    > 2] Would reinstalling windows possibly make a difference?
    > 3] is there a possible spyware/adware/registry problem that norton
    > would not have picked up?? I have some ad-ware programs too, but just
    > checking.
    >
    > Thanks soooo much!
    >
    > -Eric :mad:
    >

    > --