Sign in with
Your question

Need new Sound system

Last response: in Components
October 23, 2008 12:01:36 AM

Heya, im trying to get a new Speaker system for my pc.
So to the point: im using right now,

Supreme FX II (from asus mobo), and i have also an Audigy 2 (the cheap version), but dont know witch one is better.

On the speakers side we got "Woxter 5.1" system that i think you cant even find on internet anymore :D .

Now i dont have the money right now for a gigatoworks s750 or logitech z-5500, but i could have in distant future.

I have been looking around in internet and found 2 "non-expensive" systems id like to ask you guys about.

Logitech G51 and Creative T7900. Ill fast write pros and cons i found on internet, and place questions in the end.

G51:
129E;
Great in games, weak bass in music, even weaker in movies (by weak i mean bad quality);

Creative T7900:
They're an eight-speaker set, thus supporting Dolby Digital EX and DTS,
99E,
Annoyingly the connectors for use with your computer are the multi-pole type, with the center/sub (orange) and rear (black) each with 4 separate strips rather than the usual 3 strips. This means that you only have to connect 3 plugs (orange, green and black), rather than 4 (orange, green, black and grey) to drive the 7.1 system. However, not even Creative’s own X-Fi cards support this feature fully so you’d be better off with another cable (4 plugs to 4 plugs, rather than 4 plugs to 3 plugs). The system will work without multi-pole support but it’ll resort to 5.1 rather than full 7.1 or even 6.1. For the sake of an extra cable, Creative has made the wrong choice, especially considering as I’m yet to see a motherboard that has multi-pole over the additional grey plug;
Most games are actually 5.1, same as movies, thus barely using the 7.1 at all.

So first, i dont need an earthquake creator bass, nor extreme high dB, hoever id like to hear games, movies and music clearly. So to the questions:

-Any of those systems have anything "like" THX that would make it more worth it?
-Anyone actually has any of those systems and can give a positive or negative opinion on how CLEAR is the sound at low-mid,mid,mid-high Volumes?
-Should i save the cash for about 1 year and try to get z-5500 then? (meanning is there that much diffrence, since i heard a z-5500 with matrix reloaded and i was really impressed on the fighting scenes).
-Any aditional information i might not be aware of would be apriciated.

More about : sound system

October 23, 2008 12:29:38 AM

Just use the Supreme FX II. It's a better quality card than the low end Audigy 2 you have if you're going to use Vista. Yeah creative ain't too big on supporting their old cards anymore so you would have to search for the modified drivers by Daniel K if you want to use the Audigy 2 in Vista if you want decent functionality from it.
October 23, 2008 12:37:55 AM

i could get x-fi xtreme gamer if it would imporve much over the supreme, but im more worried about the speakers, since there i dont know if to go with T7900 or g51, and if supreme fx is that good.
Related resources
October 23, 2008 4:06:59 PM

cats_Paw said:
i could get x-fi xtreme gamer if it would imporve much over the supreme, but im more worried about the speakers, since there i dont know if to go with T7900 or g51, and if supreme fx is that good.

Between g51 and T7900 a lot depends on your aesthetic preference ;) 

It is a bit of gadgetry versus simplicity. G51 look a bit outerspacish to me and I prefer classy look of the T7900. But you could argue about that, matter of taste I guess. Look at the control pod for both. G51 comes with a control pod that has about 10 buttons. They are supposed to action various "modes" (read EQ presets) but most people I talked to or read on the web say this is pile of BS. All you need is power on/of button, volume knob, the switch between two inputs perhaps and some degree of control over bass and trebles. Now look on the control pod for T7900 - no fireworks, plain simplicity but all the features mentioned are here.

Logitech boasts higher power rating but if you look at specs they give the rating for sub at 2 Ohm. Creative does not specify the impedence at all but I opened my Creative set a while ago and satellites were rated 4 Ohms and subwoofer driver had 6 Ohm printed on it. So in fact Creative speakers might have more power then Logitech. And that would explain why people complain that bass becomes muddy at higher volume with G51 and I have never heard that being said about Creative speakers. Also note G51 speakers come each with two cones of the same size, while T7900s front speakers come with both mid range and a twitter. The latter solution makes more sense in terms of sound quality. The rear speakers have only one cone each, though, unlike G51.

You can probably see I would rather recommend Creative set - it seems simplier, cheaper, arguably better sound and it is actually 7.1, but, hey, if you think G51 just look more cool go for it - both speakers are solid options for a very decent price.

Here some reviews for both:
T7900:
http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/showthread.php?t=21065
http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/other-products/creat...
G51
http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Multimedia/Logitech-G51...
http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/logitech_g51/3
October 24, 2008 12:18:01 AM

I see your point, and it does lean me into Creative, however 1 thing im somewhat being negative about is the type of conections it uses. For 7.1 at least it uses 1 cable for 2 many channels, witch is not supported fully even by x-fi (as i mentioned before).

I do not care for buying another cable, but in cards like x-fi xtreme gamer u have only 3 jacks of AUDIO OUT, and MIC IN.

This said, how do i connects a new cable to it?!

Or is it now fully supported? That is a great deal to me since id like those speakers to last some time (my old speakers lasted 6 years and its time for them to retire..).
October 24, 2008 12:37:21 PM

uh no,

This set uses standard connection: 7.1 = 4 stereo jacks.
(7.1 = 8 channels paired front L - front R, center - sub, side L - side R, rear L-rear R. Exactly the way G51 does and any other surround set that I have ever laid my hands on.)

You are right about the X-Fi Gamer card though - this card uses some proprietary connection for the extra 2 channels so you need special cable for 7.1. But the good thing about this cable is that is actually comes with T7900 in the box. (listed under the "package contents" as "7.1 audio cable" )
October 24, 2008 1:03:03 PM

cats_Paw said:

Creative T7900:
(...)
Annoyingly the connectors for use with your computer are the multi-pole type, with the center/sub (orange) and rear (black) each with 4 separate strips rather than the usual 3 strips. This means that you only have to connect 3 plugs (orange, green and black), rather than 4 (orange, green, black and grey) to drive the 7.1 system. However, not even Creative’s own X-Fi cards support this feature fully so you’d be better off with another cable (4 plugs to 4 plugs, rather than 4 plugs to 3 plugs). The system will work without multi-pole support but it’ll resort to 5.1 rather than full 7.1 or even 6.1. For the sake of an extra cable, Creative has made the wrong choice, especially considering as I’m yet to see a motherboard that has multi-pole over the additional grey plug;

Yeah, that's where you are confused :) 

Here is the image for T7700 - the connections are the same as on T7900. See four inputs on the left hand side, top?
Black, Green, Gray and Orange - all standard jacks for standard stereo cables:

http://www.media.allerinternett.no/php/obj.phpi?o=11277...

October 26, 2008 5:10:01 PM

That deos help some, i was wondering also about the diffrences of all those X-FI cards out nowdays, especially diffrences between titanium, Xtremegamer. I play a lot more than i listen to music or watch movies but gamer is 64 E and titanium is 89 E so i wonder if the price range would be worth it in any direction.
TItanium does have aditional audio out, where in xtreme gamer there is not, therefore giving me chance to use 4 calbes insteead of that "unsupported" 7.1 mix cable?
!