sirillia

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
My Nvidia Geforce 6200 Agp card got hot from dogs hair in the fan and when i was playing (Didnt know about hair) the game froze, so i restarted and played again for a couple of minutes and boom froze again. I touched the graphics card and it was very hot.So i switched the pc off immediatly and removed the card and cleaned the fan i put it back in but now the monitor flickers on and off constantly and when it stops i try opening a game and it runs for like 3 seconds then restarts the pc. I tried reinstalling the pc and downloading drivers for the card but still doing same thing. I took it to an electronics expert to ask him if its damaged by the overheating and he said no because the board would have changed a different colour(Back of processor chip) .Please if anyone can help i would really appreciate it . ;) Thanx a mill

enayet_redeemer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

I think internal damage has been done in your graphics chip. This will not lead to a color change in the processor chip. If it happned then you would not be able to run your graphics card, Chip would be fried up.

Double check that the card is seated properly (remove and reinstall).
If it needs any external power, make sure it also is properly connected or try a different cable.
If you have another monitor cable, try that also.

It is entirely possible that you fried your card without any external signs.
Just because the board has not changed colors does not mean everything is peachy.

sirillia

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Thanx for your help guys!! I think i must just get another one hey because once its damaged theres nothng you can really do!!

4745454b I have a nvidia geforce 5500 256mb Agp working in the slot at the moment.... Does it still need to be cleaned?? ;)

enayet_redeemer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Just be cautious and clean the slot to get rid of unseen dust or hair.

sirillia

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Yea true thanx guys ill try that!!
And ha ha ha ha ha ha the 5500 is old but it runs some games ........
Im trying to get a 512mb or 1gb if poss ....Anyone know any second hand deals or good price new? :)

No, adding more memory will not make a slow card anything more than an overpriced slow card.
512Mb is more than enough memory for gaming at 1920x1200 and below.

If you want a fast AGP card, look into a 4670 or 3850.
If you are working on a budget, the lowest AGP card I could recommend would be the 4650.

Also, I'd recommend putting some screen or cheesecloth (or even old skivvies, but make sure you wash them first! :D) over your fan intakes to keep future dog hair outta your pc.

Or you could just shave the pooch :D.