DorkSterr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hey guys I'm having a dilemma of updating my Asus Rampage BIOS from 0308 to 0601, but Asus says "Please note, BIOS update is only recommended when experiencing technical difficulties with your system, And is not recommended to be performed regularly." Everything is working fine right now but I just want the latest updates for my hardware. What do you think I should do?

Thanks so much guys!

Misocainea

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
Asus is right, you really shouldn't update your BIOS unless you are having problems. A BIOS flash gone wrong risks bricking your motherboard.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Rule of bios imo unless you're going to really benefit from update I wouldn't risk it. You risk killing the chip and having to get another one.

But the ez safest way would be to go into bios load default settings then do a ez flash 2 then load defaults again then enter in your custom settings else stick to dos...NEVER use asus window's environment flash

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Never say never! Some mobos have dual BIOS which means if the Windows based FLASH fails it reverts to the other BIOS and nothing bad happens.

Epox had excellent Windows based flashing routines that downloaded, backed-up and installed the binaries for you.

However if you want to be sure of the OS you are working in, boot from a floppy you made yourself, but it is absolutely not required.