Amd Turion Ultra Vs Intel .. ?

kazzaz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
i want to buy a laptop .. and now i am to choose between the Hp Dv5 Pavilion-1030ee and the Hp Pavilion dv6580ee .. the first one with amd processor turion zm-80 with 2.1GHz and 2 L2 cache memory and with very good graphic card 3450 hd .. and the second one with intel 7500 with 4 cache memory and 8400 gs .. the first is cheaper and i can affored and with very good price .. the second with higher price and i think less quality Graphic card than the 3450 .. so wat do u think ?? i think i saw somewhere that althoug the amd's with less cache memory but they can compete with the intels with larger cache memory cause amd dont depend much on the cache ??

so i know that the 7500 is better than the zm-80 but is it a big difference ??

i will use 3ds max .. archicad .. autocad .. photoshop .. lightroom .. and some games like NFS and PEs 2008 ,, so ?

sorry for my bad english

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
sadly, since you are doing modeling, i would recommend a workstation laptop, however that appears to be far out of your budget. but i would most definitely get the better video card. (I assume that the actual rendering is happening on the laptop, and not somewhere else? If it is happening somewhere else, I would still get the better video card.) And since you are modeling try to get as much ram as possible.

Get he frist one and stuff it full of RAM.

Bit more future proof.

The ZM 80 would perform similar in cpu power to a socket 939 4400+ I would imagine - it is only 100Mhz slower but uses much less power.

The Turion Ultra chip is unusual in that it is the only 65nm 2Mb cache cpu (in three flavours) AMD produces - more than a simple optical shrink of the 90nm best of the X2's ... but it has the multiple sleep states and three power planes.

Pity they didn't mainstrea it as I would imagine it would be much better than the existing 65nm X2's.

Yeilds must be a bit lower posibly?

Bummer it is S1.

Bet it would overclock well too.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
The 8400 gs is the defective GPU you,ve been hearing about. If in doubt Google.
NO is the answer to the intel notebook you have picked out.
Yes to the AMD which also has the 780 GM chipset and with crossfire.
I personally was looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220349
but settled with this one because it was for my wife and all she wanted a laptop for was for email and web surfing.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-dv7-1130us-17-Widescreen-Entertainment-Laptop-DV71130US/sem/rpsm/oid/223181/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

These are only for reference so sorry if they are not avaiable where you live.