PCI Express slot stopped working?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics Cards
  • PCI Express
Last response: in Motherboards
November 23, 2008 11:06:44 PM

So to start off, here is what I have:

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Gateway-Gateway-GT5228-Desk...

Pretty basic setup, I've upgraded it to 2 gigs of RAM, and added a 8800 GT OC video card in the past year. Here's my problem: 2 days ago, I booted up my PC, and there was no image. I could hear the Windows start up noises, so I knew the PC was working, but something was wrong with the video card. So I opened it up, everything looked okay. I booted it up again and listened for any noises. When it starts up, I hear a few 'clicks', along with the video card fan whirring up. The clicking stops after a few seconds, the fan keeps going, and no image. So I switched to onboard graphics to see if I could find a solution. At first I figured my video card was busted, but then I tried a different video card I had lying around, and that didn't work either. So it must be the slot itself?

Also, a friend of mine recently installed a new ethernet card in my PC, I'm wondering if that's drawing away power from the video card? It's worked fine for a couple of weeks though.

Can I get some help? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

More about : pci express slot stopped working

November 24, 2008 1:39:03 PM

So I reformatted, and that didn't help. I thought that may fix it if it was a software error or something, but that also wouldn't explain the clicking. Any suggestions?
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2008 4:06:13 PM

This actually happened to me once or twice with my new PC. Everything worked, but the GFX card would display nothing until after windows fully booted. This went away after a few reeboots though.
November 24, 2008 6:20:06 PM

Was there a clicking noise for you as well? I've rebooted many times, to no avail.
April 23, 2009 2:37:02 PM

Im having the same problem, did you fix it?
April 26, 2009 1:29:57 PM

Cleaned the PSU ? Tested with Another PSU ?
Clicking noise could also just be the GFX heatsinkfans/joints making noises when expanding due to temperature change.

Gambatte Kudasai .. or something like that ..
!