Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 - Changing From an NForce4 MB to an Intel P55 MB - possible?

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2010 8:48:29 PM

My Situation: I am currently running a Raid-0 on an AMD X2 4400+/NForce 4 MB, and am switching to to an intel core I5/P55 MB.

I have 2x 300GB Seagate Drives in a RAID-0.
These are storage drives (well 1 partition is a 'broken' XP install..)
It is an NVRaid on a DFI-LanParty NForce 4 board

I just purchased an intel i5 CPU, and MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard

Is there any possible way to get the new Intel setup to recognize my current RAID Array? AND more importantly be able to use the data on it.

I am not worried about taking the drives out and putting in the system and boot a current OS off of them as I am switching to Windows 7 anyway... I am just looking to save time backing up a ton of data.

If there is a 'cheap' PCI adapter that would support the NVRAID on the Intel board, that could be an option as well.

Hopefully I can get some feedback from anyone who has tried this, Im sure there are a lot of people that have made a switch from NForce4 to an intel i5/i7 :o  (I think)

Thanks in advance for any input/experiences!!
a b G Storage
January 6, 2010 9:38:45 PM

MaadHatter said:
My Situation: I am currently running a Raid-0 on an AMD X2 4400+/NForce 4 MB, and am switching to to an intel core I5/P55 MB...Is there any possible way to get the new Intel setup to recognize my current RAID Array? AND more importantly be able to use the data on it.
Short answer, no.

MaadHatter said:
I am just looking to save time backing up a ton of data.
Sorry, when switching RAID controllers and/or mobo chipsets, there is no other course of action but to back up the data, rebuild the array on the new controller and the copy the data back. You can make an image of the drive and data (providing that it is not a bootable partition) and then re-image the data over to the new array.

MaadHatter said:
If there is a 'cheap' PCI adapter that would support the NVRAID on the Intel board, that could be an option as well.
If there is/was such a pci controller card, I've ever seen or heard of it.

Basically, each RAID controller chipset writes a unique signature to the RAID array that only that make/model of RAID controller chip can read/interpret. Even if (by some miracle of the Tech Gods) the Intel RAID controller was able to boot or recognize the array from the nVidia RAID controller, there would be a mess of errors and most likely any data on the array would be FUBAR.

MaadHatter said:
Thanks in advance for any input/experiences!!
You're welcome!
January 7, 2010 1:02:08 AM

This is the very reason to ALWAYS use a stand alone RAID controller, motherboard chipsets change, the add in card is NEVER tied to the motherboard and can be moved...Use ACRONIS or whatever imaging software you want to use and create an image of the RAID 0 drive set, cast it to a drive or RAID set after setting up the new motherboard and OS...
January 8, 2010 9:05:39 PM

Thanks for input. Pretty much what I expected.
This post was more of a wishful hope that there was some magical tool out there that could help.

I have already copied what I need to an external drive, so I am all set.
!