Sign in with
Your question

My First home-made gaming pc .... opinions

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2008 2:21:01 PM

Hey, i'm planning on putting togetter a new gaming pc. The main purpose of the pc will be to play games like Age of conan /Crysis at a resolution of 1440 X 900. :) 

This is what i've come up with so far.

- ASUS EAGTX260 Geforce GTX260 896Mb DDR3

- Corsair 750W 24p,120mm case fan

- Intel Quad Core Q9300 (2.5GHz,1333MHz,6MB,BOXED)

- SAMSUNG 22x DVD-Rewriter (S223F) And LINKSYS WMP54G Wireless-G PCI Adapter

The problem is that i would like to have about 4 Gb of high speed Ram, but most parts of 1066 Mhz require 2.1 V and the

motherboards that i've been looking at only seport 1.8 V even tough they say can handle up to 1200 Mhz.. :??:  :??: 

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 DDR2

OCZ 4096MB Kit (2x2048MB) 1066Mhz PC8500 DDR2 Platinum

Is it worth to find a better motherboard so i can try the 1066 Mhz or should i just lower the Ram down to 800 Mhz (wich only requires 1.8V) ...

Pleas say it if you think that any other part of my pc is a wrong choice ( for hard core gaming ..) :pt1cable: 

grtz

August 11, 2008 2:28:09 PM

Are you planning to Crossfire/SLI in the future? You have a Crossfire mobo (X48) with an NVIDIA GPU. I would suggest going with a 4870 with that mobo, which gives you the option of Crossfire in the future. I think the 780i is the NVIDIA solution for SLI.
August 11, 2008 2:35:10 PM

^ +1

If you get that gigabyte motherboard you will easily be able to up the voltage of your RAM. 2.1v for the RAM will not be any problem on any quality motherboard, so don't worry about it.

BTW, you're going to need a hard drive and an OS. I like the WD 640gb drive and Vista Home Premium 64.
Related resources
August 11, 2008 2:40:30 PM

zvandy said:
Are you planning to Crossfire/SLI in the future? You have a Crossfire mobo (X48) with an NVIDIA GPU. I would suggest going with a 4870 with that mobo, which gives you the option of Crossfire in the future. I think the 780i is the NVIDIA solution for SLI.

Agree.
Either get an ATI GPU with that board or get a Board that Supports SLI if getting that card.

Alternately, Get a Much Cheaper Board that does not have Strong SLI/CF support and use the saved money to upgrade different parts such as the GPU or CPU.
August 11, 2008 2:58:18 PM

It would be better you get HD 4870 for your X48 which is much faster than GTX260 and cheaper too plus much compatible with your mobo in multi GPU flatform for future upgrade like adding more GPUs.
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2008 3:48:09 PM

Change the video card to HD 4870.

I am confused. You want high-speed RAM, which only makes a difference when overclocking a lot, but you are using the stock cooler, which will prevent it. You also picked the worst overclocker among all Intel quads, with a 7.5 multiplier (some people only get 7, in fact, because not all MBs support fractions.) If you are not overclocking, or just a bit, the Q9300 is OK and you don't need an aftermarket cooler, and DDR2-800 is enough. If you are overclocking and aiming for 4GHz, then get a Q6700 or a Q9450 and a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and the higher speed RAM.

August 11, 2008 5:11:50 PM

Hehe, well, you all clearly know a lot more about pc's then i do so thx for the advice (so far) you all

I'm not planning to overclock to much so i should

- Get myself some cheaper 800 Mhz Ram (cause without overclocking i dont need faster ? )
=> Corsair 4096MB DDR2 800Mhz XMS6400 (2x 2Gb)

- Change To an 4870 cause it fits the motherboard and i would be able to put an other 4870 in CF later on ?

Then this would be the card you advice right ?
ASUS EAH4870 512Mb DDR3,HDTV,2xDVI,HDMI,PCI-E

And because i'm not overclocking this Quad will give me anough horspower for a while ? Or should i get a faster one for games like crysis ..

a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2008 5:22:25 PM

Yes to the Corsair RAM.

Yes to the Asus HD 4870. Sapphire and Visiontek also make good ATI cards usually.

Crysis will be fine on the Q9300. It's limited by the video cards (big time, in fact), not by the CPU. Flight Simulator X is an example of game that wants the best CPU possible.

August 11, 2008 5:27:26 PM

If your primarily gaming dont get a quad at all. Get the e8600 and OC the hell out of it. 4-4.9 on air.

Definately get the 4870.
August 11, 2008 5:28:12 PM

aevm said:
Yes to the Corsair RAM.

Yes to the Asus HD 4870. Sapphire and Visiontek also make good ATI cards usually.

Crysis will be fine on the Q9300. It's limited by the video cards (big time, in fact), not by the CPU. Flight Simulator X is an example of game that wants the best CPU possible.

KK, thx a lot

But do you mean it will be limited by this video card ? or do you mean video cards in general ?
And will my case (or the case i would like to have) be big anough to fit all this in ? ANTEC Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
Cause the video cards are getting huge instead of getting smaller :o 
August 11, 2008 5:31:58 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
If your primarily gaming dont get a quad at all. Get the e8600 and OC the hell out of it. 4-4.9 on air.

Definately get the 4870.

Ye, i've read about QC giving problems for games but somtimes i've got a lot of aplications running at the same time...
Is there a big diffrence in performence between QC en DC on games ? :??: 
August 11, 2008 5:34:17 PM

DC powns QC on games. Especially the new e8600.

A fast dual core can multitask just fine no worrys.

I build PCs and one customer got a dual core at 3.8, while another one got a quad at 2.4 and the dual core powned the quad at everything. The dual started windows faster, opened apps faster, multitasked faster, lots of stuff running.
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2008 5:47:54 PM

lordseni said:
KK, thx a lot

But do you mean it will be limited by this video card ? or do you mean video cards in general ?
And will my case (or the case i would like to have) be big anough to fit all this in ? ANTEC Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
Cause the video cards are getting huge instead of getting smaller :o 

HD 4870 gets 39.2 fps on a 22" monitor (1680x1050), without AA/AF. The GTX 260 does the same.
With AA/AF, the HD 4870 gets 33.9, while the GTX 260 does 28.4.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4870,1964-9.html
I don't have benchmarks for 1440x900 right now but I'm guessing you'd get 45 to 50 fps. That's not bad at all IMO.

The 4870x2 is about as big as the 8800GTX, which does fit in the Antec 900. You should be OK there.

August 11, 2008 5:47:57 PM

kk :) 
A dual core it is... But witch ^^
I cant seem to find that e8600 in any shops around here so my question is if the e8500 would fit my gaming pc aswel ?
And maybe this is a stuppid question but would it go okey with my MotherB and corsair ram ?
=>>> INTEL CORE2 Duo E8500 45nm (3.16)

a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2008 5:51:34 PM

The E8500 will be fine, no worries.
August 11, 2008 5:52:10 PM

Have you actually played AoC? I bought it and I totally feel like I wasted $50. It runs fine on my laptop (C2D, 4 GB RAM, 8800 GTS) and it's stable (no crashes) but it just wasn't fun for me. I hear SOOOOOO many people here talking about AoC I just felt compelled to say that. WoW seemed to have a much fairer PvP setup... in AoC the moment you step off that boat you're liable to have 2 or 3 guys just standing around waiting to gank you. I spent my first couple of hours just running for me life... if that sounds like fun, spend the $50. If not, save your money... they got my $50, but they're NOT getting the next $14.95.
August 11, 2008 5:58:41 PM

rodney_ws said:
Have you actually played AoC? I bought it and I totally feel like I wasted $50. It runs fine on my laptop (C2D, 4 GB RAM, 8800 GTS) and it's stable (no crashes) but it just wasn't fun for me. I hear SOOOOOO many people here talking about AoC I just felt compelled to say that. WoW seemed to have a much fairer PvP setup... in AoC the moment you step off that boat you're liable to have 2 or 3 guys just standing around waiting to gank you. I spent my first couple of hours just running for me life... if that sounds like fun, spend the $50. If not, save your money... they got my $50, but they're NOT getting the next $14.95.

Ye, I've bought it several weeks ago. Tortage is great but after getting to the mainland it got boring (on pve server)
But now i'm on pvp server and i've been ganked a lot but up until now i stil enjoy it :) 
I've never played wow but to me it looks like a game for my 5 year old brother with all those colours =')
BUt that's just my opinion as a Die hard guild wars player ^^
August 11, 2008 6:26:08 PM

Now I wasn't saying I was an active WoW player or anything... I just know that's a lot more polished (as it should be... it's 4 years old) I was just expecting a LOT more from AoC and it did not deliver. Would totally recommend anyone getting a friend pass and trying it out before dropping the $50 on it. It just seemed a little TOO gank friendly. Just felt like people were taking out their pent-up sexual frustrations by repeatedly killing me. I just refuse to believe those people have active, happy sex lives LOL. Thank god for friends w/ benefits!
August 11, 2008 6:41:40 PM

LoL, I get so pissed when I'm on a quest and I get ganked. When I finally hit 70 on WoW I went back to Southshore and Ganked like a mofo. That had to be the worst place to try to level up 20-30. I sold my account, and I have been thinking about AoC, but I may just stick with xbox360.
August 11, 2008 6:59:29 PM

I should have sold my WoW account... I had 2 70s... and like roadrunner, the moment I hit 70 with my rogue I started ganking the crap out of people in the zones that I'd be pestered in. Mainly I'd just follow around a lowbie ally while I was stealthed... and when someone tried to bully him, it was all over.

On AoC... well, it just seemed a little TOO wide open. People that play it 40 hours / week are always gonna have better gear and they're gonna make it hell on the rest of us. It just seems particularly acute in AoC.
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2008 7:16:02 PM

Do they at least prevent cheating in AoC? I remember years ago playing Diablo 2 on the "open realms" or whatever it was called, and there were these a**holes with hacked characters, doing 80000 times more damage than normal, killing everybody in sight. What a pain...
August 11, 2008 7:30:04 PM

I hope they prevent cheating.. But as they say, there are a **** of bugs and people play verry nasty

I faced a necro ( or somthing) once and the ********* just made some minions send them to me while he went for a swim where my swort cound't hit him :'( 
I hope they get that kinda crap out
I as a HoX never gank people, i only attack people that are my level or so and never when they're olrdy in combat.
I was in a kinda big guild and every time somone reported some gankers there were about 3 high levels rdy to teach them a lesson .. so that was kinda fun :) 

Well thank you all for your advice and i think i'll start gattering the parts :) 
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2008 7:48:37 PM

I just thought I'd point something out before you order your parts. You said:

"Then this would be the card you advice right ?
ASUS EAH4870 512Mb DDR3,HDTV,2xDVI,HDMI,PCI-E "

I looked up that part number, and it looks like there are GDDR3 versions floating around out there. You want to make sure you get the card with GDDR5 RAM. Otherwise all you're really getting is an overclocked 4850 with a dual slot cooler :) 
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2008 8:01:05 PM

Oops, I totally missed that. Good eye!

At newegg they are all GDDR5, but they don't have an Asus model.

August 11, 2008 8:02:00 PM

Mmmm, what does the G stand for ?
I want to buy one of those 3

There's a cart from sapphire => Sapphire ATI HD4870,512MB DDR5,PCI-E
Memory type GDDR 5

And the one i talked about earlyer is this one =>ASUS EAH4870 512Mb DDR3
Memory type DDR 5

There about the same price 250 €...

And then there's this third cart from an other shop => SAPPHIRE HD4870 Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 224 €

What to choose.. :) 
August 11, 2008 8:07:54 PM

AoC and WoW have NOTHING on Vanguard, Vanguard is the best MMORPG and has the most potential. it's fun and looks stunning if you have the hardware. I'll admit that Vanguard had a shaky start, but everything seems to be comming together smoothly.

Ps. I agree with all the ^ posters regarding the 4870 and the E8500 those will both be the best choices in what you are looking for. they'll be able to handle AoC and Crysis, but if you decide to try Vanguard, you'll be able to see a visually fantastic game at max settings.
August 11, 2008 8:13:26 PM

jonpaul37 said:
AoC and WoW have NOTHING on Vanguard, Vanguard is the best MMORPG and has the most potential. it's fun and looks stunning if you have the hardware. I'll admit that Vanguard had a shaky start, but everything seems to be comming together smoothly.

Ps. I agree with all the ^ posters regarding the 4870 and the E8500 those will both be the best choices in what you are looking for. they'll be able to handle AoC and Crysis, but if you decide to try Vanguard, you'll be able to see a visually fantastic game at max settings.

When vanguard came out i really wanted to buy the game but for some reason the 12 € /mounth kept me from buying it :'( 

But it did not stop me from buying AoC tough... probebly because you have pre pay cards for AoC..

But when AoC turns out to be as boring as a lot of people say i might concider buying Vanguard as i had been planning on for a year :')
August 11, 2008 8:18:32 PM

lordseni said:
When vanguard came out i really wanted to buy the game but for some reason the 12 € /mounth kept me from buying it :'( 

But it did not stop me from buying AoC tough... probebly because you have pre pay cards for AoC..

But when AoC turns out to be as boring as a lot of people say i might concider buying Vanguard as i had been planning on for a year :')

you will be very happy if you do, there's plenty to keep you busy. it reminds me a little of the original Everquest... it has the same lore and good quest lines, but much better visual and content.
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2008 8:42:07 PM

lordseni said:
Mmmm, what does the G stand for ?
I want to buy one of those 3

There's a cart from sapphire => Sapphire ATI HD4870,512MB DDR5,PCI-E
Memory type GDDR 5

And the one i talked about earlyer is this one =>ASUS EAH4870 512Mb DDR3
Memory type DDR 5

There about the same price 250 €...

And then there's this third cart from an other shop => SAPPHIRE HD4870 Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 224 €

What to choose.. :) 

The G stands for "graphics".

I'd get the Sapphire. They sell more HD 4870 cards than anybody else, and I had some good Sapphire cards in the past.

August 12, 2008 12:44:28 PM

Hi all, i'm lordseni's friend and I already bought myself a new gaming pc. And because you all seem to know alot about the latest developments, I would like to ask your opinion about my pc.
Motherboard: INTEL BOXDX48BT2 DDR3 BONETRAIL
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q9450 s775,2.66GHz,1333MHz,12MB,BOX
GPU: Asus ENGTX280 (HTDP/1G DDR3,HDTV,2xDVI-I,HDMI,PCIe)
Memory: Corsair 4096MB XMS3-1600,DDR3,1600MHz,Lat 9-9-9-24,DHX
Power supply: OCZ 700 Watt GameXStream Power Supply OCZ700GXSSLI-EU
Hard drive: Western Digital 250GB Caviar SE SATA-II 16MB 7200rpm
DVD-writer: Samsung DVDRW SATA 22x
Case: Antec TwelveHundred Ultimate Gamer Case
a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2008 1:55:02 PM

- Sigh - another guy who buys first and asks later. :( 

You could have had more bang for the buck with DDR2 and HD 4870 CF.

That motherboard is hard to overclock AFAIK. OK, I guess you don't care, since you didn't even get an aftermarket cooler.

The hard disk is not one of the best, even as 7200 rpm drives go.

Good PSU, but I expected better to match the expensive GPU and RAM.

Still, a very nice PC.
August 12, 2008 3:03:42 PM

So what you are saying is that DDR2 memory would have been better? That doesn't sound really logical to me. And the reason i didn't buy an aftermarket cooler cause there's already 7 coolers that came with the case ;) . And what do you mean with AFAIK?
I chose the hard disk cause I don't really need more then 250GB, and i can always buy an additional one when needed. And trust me, the power supply is more then enough ;) . I mean, what should I've bought? 1000 watt? lol
August 12, 2008 3:20:04 PM

aevm said:
The G stands for "graphics".

I'd get the Sapphire. They sell more HD 4870 cards than anybody else, and I had some good Sapphire cards in the past.

Well, The sapphire cart runs at 750Mhz and 900 Mhz for the memory

But somehow the assus cart runs at 850 and 3600 Mhz for the memory ????

There most be a simple explenation but wtf ? :) 

I also read that the 4750 gets extreemly hot, so should i get an other cooler or would the ANTEC Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer case be anough to make sure my video cart doesnt melt stuf..

grtz (ps , yanni, get your own dam topic :p  )
a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2008 4:13:11 PM

The Asus card runs memory at 900MHz. It just claims 3600MHz because it's GDD5 and that means 4 times data rate etc etc. Marketing idiocy, ignore it. Look at these specs for example, they show 3600 MHz (900 MHz):
http://www.ncixus.com/products/32195/EAH4870%2FHTDI%2F512M%2FA/ASUS/

The Asus card runs the shaders at 850MHz instead of 750MHz because they overclocked it compared to the reference model suggested by AMD. You can overclock a Sapphire to 850 too, with some luck. The only reason you'd want to pay extra 26 euros for the Asus is if you absolutely want the 850MHz and you're not sure the Sapphire can stay stable at that clock. Some people are willing to pay extra for a factory-overclocked card, i.e. for that guarantee. I have done it myself last time, with my 8800GTX OC2. It runs at a much higher clock than the regular 8800GTX. The idea is that Asus bins cards and sells the best ones as factory overclocked, at 850, for a higher price.

There are aftermarket coolers for the HD 4850. Still, if you only have one and it's in an Antec 900 (a great cooling case), I don't think you need an aftermarket cooler. Do monitor the temperatures. There are programs you can download and use to monitor temperatures, change clocks, adjust fan speed, etc. RivaTuner is a popular one, for example.

Even better, get a HD 4870. It costs more, but not much more than a HD 4850 + aftermarket cooler, it's faster, and it has a dual-slot cooler with a vent. That allows it to push the hot air directly out of the case and it solves the heating problem nicely.

@Yanni:
AFAIK - As Far As I Know :) 

DDR3 is better than DDR2, but only a little better, and costs a lot more. If you sacrifice a bit of memory speed with DDR2 and use the savings to buy more video card power, generally you end up with more fps in games. It's just a matter of spending the cash where it helps most.

Your Q9450 can be overclocked (for example made to run at 3.2 GHz instead of 2.66 GHz) using the stock heatsink, especially with 7 case fans helping, sure. But, people who aim for 4 GHz will usually buy a cooler (that is, a big piece of metal with pipes + a fan, not just a fan). Here's an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=HDT-S1283 Anyway, don't worry about it, overclocking is more of a sport for computer enthusiasts than actually needed these days. Your Q9450 is very fast as it is already.

The WD 250GB disk has an average read speed of 63 MB/s, IIRC. (That's, If I Remember Correctly :) )
The WD 640GB disk has 90 MB/s. It's not the space I was talking about, it's the speed.

The GameXstream 700W has a combined output of 43.75A on the 12V rails, maybe close to 56 if all the other rails are almost unused. The minimum recommendation for a system with a GTX 280 and a quad is 42A. You are cutting it close. Also, GameXStream is a second-tier brand, i.e. good but not one of the best. In comparison, a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W is tier 1, and it has 60A on the 12V rails. A Corsair 750TX gets better reviews than the GameXStream, and it also has 60A. Your PSU will do the job, no worries, it's just not the one I would have picked on a budget like yours.
August 12, 2008 5:32:26 PM

Ahh, i see.. sneaky assus :D 

Because the extra €26 isent a big problem and i'm not much of an overclocker i'm gonne buy that 4870 assus card. (and 850 sounds better then 750 lol )

You've been a great help and i think that there's only one thing left that i'm not sure off.. ( it got my attention by reading your reaction on yanni his pc)

Will the 750W be anough for this pc and if i would concider later on to put an other 4870 in CF, will the 750 W still cut it ? (will there be anough 6 pins and all that..)

Corsair voeding 750W 24p,120mm case fan :) 

grtz
a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2008 5:41:26 PM

Yes, the Corsair 750W is enough for HD 4870 CF and it has all the connectors you need. You're not going to add 8 hard disks, are you?
August 12, 2008 5:43:32 PM

Hehe, no i'm not planning to do that no :) 
August 14, 2008 7:56:55 AM

Hi, me again. About the OS, should I use the Vista Home Premium 64-bit or the Vista Ultimate 64-bit?
August 15, 2008 4:36:17 PM

Are there maybe some extra features on Windows Vista Ultimate for gaming? Cause I'm primarly using my pc to game, so if there's no difference between Ultimate and Home Premium for gaming, I'll go for the Home Premium.
a b 4 Gaming
August 15, 2008 4:49:11 PM

I thought Ultimate was supposed to include some extra games or something. Anyway, Home Premium is just fine for gaming, no worries there.
!