will i need to buy an OS?

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hey all, i have a dell xps 630i and it has a nvidia 650i SLI mobo which sux and im going to replace it. i just got off of a live chat with dell and they say the mobo i chose will do everything the current mobo does but it just has way better performance. anyway like i said its a dell and if i change the mobo will i have to buy a os to put on it? i mean im not changing the hdd just the mobo. the pc came with oem vista home premium 32-bit. i really hope i dont have to buy an os because isnt the os stored on the hdd anyway? so if anyone knows, thanks for helping out. the mobo im UPGRADING (yes it needs the emphasis compared to the mobo i have now) to is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Yes, you will need a new os. The activation of the oem version of windows that comes with the Dell is linked to the motherboard's bios. Since you will nolonger have a Dell motherboard, you won't be able to activate windows.

Sorry to correct you, but you can load your old windows operating system if you have a dell oem cd, motherboard drivers that support your old windows operating system, and a genuine windows coa sticker on the side of your dell case. I just installed an ecs board in a new compaq system with hp backup disks for vista. I purchased a dell oem vista cd online (about $17 st some software venders, such as 9 software) and used my hp vista coa sticker license, and had no problems activating vista online. I didn't even have to call in. Dell windows cd's for vista or windows xp are available for about the same price. And again, your new board has to have drivers to support your old windows version. Many newer boards are dropping support for windows 98 and windows 2000. Without the motherboard drivers, this won't work.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

the mobo im getting is a evga nvidia 750i SLI, and your saying i dont have to buy a new os i can use the oem disk that came with my dell pc? i will be using all of the same parts except the mobo is changing. the disk i got with this pc is orange and white, its vista home premium 32-bit (which is what im running now and will with the new mobo) and it says on the disk " these files are already on your dell pc, use this disk to to reinstall os on a dell pc". so does that mean it will work after i change the mobo? thanks for your help and i really hope i can use the disk i already have but please let me know

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

Well there is what you "can" do and then there is what you are permitted to do. And if you electively upgrade a perfectly functioning motherboard outside of an authorized replacement or exchange due to defect, it severs your right to continue using the OEM OS. Can you do it? Sure. Will it be legit? Nope.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
You have to be careful switching dell motherboards. Their latest XPS the 730 uses the ATX form factor, however I think the 720 still is on BTX. Which you are gonna have a hard time finding a motherboard to match it. Also generally dell uses proprietary power switch connectors. So you usually are not able to connect your power switch to just any motherboard.

I'm guess you are gonna need to buy a new license of windows. I never attempted to activate windows vista with another motherboard, according to microsoft with an oem version u shouldn't be able to.

GL

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
ok well on the back of my pc there is a product key sticker, now i have reinstalled vista using the oem disk once and it did not ask for a product key ( i have not changed the mobo yet). so does that mean if i swap the mobo it will ask for the product key? and if so i can only use it once? what i mean is am i allowed 1 mobo change and my oem software will work with the new hardware with the product key? there is problem with my current "oem" mobo, it doesnt overclock my cpu and it runs SLI in x8/x8 and the mobo im upgrading to will oc my cpu and run SLI in x16/x16. so the question is will my oem software work and can i activate it after i change the mobo or do i need to buy another oem vista home premium 32-bit disk when i buy the mobo? but i shouldnt have to reinstall my os because im not changing the hdd, only the mobo. im getting myself confused here so if someone could explain what i need to do, because this is what im thinking

current stock (oem) mobo sucks,
buy a new mobo that doesnt suck,
take out old mobo and put in new mobo,
connect all cables,
put in gpu's,
put cpu in it place,
put ram in its place,
close case,
connect power and video cables,
turn on pc and im good to go.

like i said im not changing the hdd that has the os on it so i shouldnt have to reinstall the os, someone please correct me if im wrong.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

the xps 630i has ATX form factor, thanks for info. some people wouldnt know the difference they just say "oh im gonna put this in there" and not know the difference

You paid for that vista license when you purchased your system (s). I contacted hp about getting a newer board with 4 memory slots for my compaq pc. They told me that they don't sell geniune hp motherboards unless they install them. I would have to send in the whole pc to do something I've been doing myself for over 16 years. And what if your motherboard is so old they don't carry it anymore. Then you're screwed. I have no problems with what I did. Microsoft has no problems with it either. There is nothing on that vista coa sticker that says "hp only systems". End of story.

If you have never changed out a motherboard by yourself, go to the "homebuilt systems" section of this forum. On page 3 about halfway down is a post "first time building a computer". My reply is in there. It is so long that it would take 30 minutes to retype it. Check it out along with other posts if you want to learn how to change a motherboard. Personally, if your current dell motherboard works, I would leave it alone and not void any dell warranty. You're obviously a "newbie" with little or no experience doing this type of hardware changeover. And remember, you'll have to format and reinstall all your old software, which is a pain. I don't need my hp warranty. I bought my system at Fry's for $199 last May. It's good for having spare parts. Good luck whatever you decide.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
i contacted dell through live chat and they said as long as i have the product key i can change the mobo as many times as needed and the oem disk that was sent with my pc will work with all, as to after installing the new mobo when i go to reinstall vista it will ask for the product key. they also explained that the reason why i wasnt asked for it when i reinstalled vista a few weeks ago is because the product key is embedded in the mobo, but when i change the mobo it will recognize its a different mobo and ask for the product key in which ill put it in and the install will go through without any issues and i will be able to activate windows after the install. which is great news for me because i didnt want to buy another $100 vista disc as the mobo is barely in budget.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Also generally dell uses proprietary power switch connectors.
Dell hasn't done this in a few years now and was fairly limited to a handful of model series when it did.

and if so i can only use it once? what i mean is am i allowed 1 mobo change and my oem software will work with the new hardware with the product key? there is problem with my current "oem" mobo, it doesnt overclock my cpu and it runs SLI in x8/x8 and the mobo im upgrading to will oc my cpu and run SLI in x16/x16. so the question is will my oem software work and can i activate it after i change the mobo or do i need to buy another oem vista home premium 32-bit disk when i buy the mobo? but i shouldnt have to reinstall my os because im not changing the hdd, only the mobo.
This is textbook case of a purely elective upgrade to obtain new or different features, not due to any dysfunction or defect. So no, you are not allowed one mobo change for purely elective reasons, which I will document further down.

You paid for that vista license when you purchased your system (s).
Yes, you paid not more than $25 for that Vista license, which is the approx. cost that the OEM is passing onto the consumer in the sale price, due to the massive volume discount that OEMs get on Microsoft product and user licenses. In exchange for the massive discount that you get when buying an OEM computer with Windows preinstalled, you don't get the same rights as someone who pays $250 for Vista without a computer.

I contacted hp about getting a newer board with 4 memory slots for my compaq pc. They told me that they don't sell geniune hp motherboards unless they install them. I would have to send in the whole pc to do something I've been doing myself for over 16 years. And what if your motherboard is so old they don't carry it anymore. Then you're screwed. I have no problems with what I did.
The point is not whether you have a conscience. The point is to be fully informed of the facts, or to fully inform others who may want to know if there are any potential ramifications or consequences to their actions, particularly legal ones.

Microsoft has no problems with it either. There is nothing on that vista coa sticker that says "hp only systems". End of story.
Are there two companies named Microsoft? Because the Microsoft I know has this plastered all over its OEM Partner and Licensing website:

OEM Licensing FAQ

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

Q. If my customer asks me to upgrade his PC with new hardware components, when does a new operating system need to be acquired? When would the PC be considered to be "new"?

A. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user customer may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC.