CPU running hot any advice?

So I'm having some trouble with a new build I'm working on and I hope some of you may be able to provide some advice on the matter. This is only my second build (and my first one was a few years back) so I apologize if I seem a little ignorant.


First my components are:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-EXTREME
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA
RAM: Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (two 1 gb sticks)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
PSU:430 watt ATX Thermaltake PSU

I used one of the online power draw calculators which said my PSU was sufficient but what do you think? Could my PSU be too small?

Now I'm having several problems, first my computer will only boot about 20% of the time if my IDE CD drive is connected :-/

Second my CPU is running very hot, like 70 C at Idle (In bios screen) and if I load Crysis it peaks to 90+C (according to Easy Tune 6) however when I load windows XP and login to Easy tune the temperatures seem to be slightly lower, around 50C at idle which is still very hot. I am using the stock heat-sink with Arctic Silver 5. I have removed and reseated the heat-sink about 5 times, each time using arctic silver thermal material remover and surface purifier to clean the heat-sink and CPU. Each time I tried a different method for applying the arctic silver, I followed the directions on the arctic silver website and applied a thin line to the center, spread evenly over the entire surface of the CPU with a credit card, as well as several other methods. Could the CPU temperature sensors be giving false readings? The heat-sink does not feel very hot to the touch even when the CPU temperature is reading 80C. I think that I am going to remove the mobo from the case this evening to make 110% sure the heat-sink is seated correctly. BTW these temperature readings are with the case open and all three case fans going.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

Also if you need any more information that might help you venture a guess about my problem just let me know.
9 answers Last reply
More about running advice
  1. -Reseat the heatsink again
    -Use prime95 to stress the CPU
    -Check temps with coretemp and speedfan when stressed, idle temps don’t matter as long as they are under 60’ish (although those would be horrible temps, 30-40 would be ideal)

    If you are over 60 when stressed RMA the MB and CPU as you don’t know which is the problem.

    ***edit***
    Did you adjust the Vcore at all?
    which bios are you running?
  2. First, you do need a new psu. That one only had 18A on the 12V+ rails (216W). That is what actually powers most of your system. Get a good brand like Corsair with a minimum of 30A.
    Second, if the temperature reads 80C and the heatsink isn't hot, then probably not seated properly. Your best bet is to install it with the motherboard out of the case. It could be a faulty sensor, but I would make absolutely sure the heatsink is on correct first. Those pushpins can be tricky
  3. grieve said:
    -Reseat the heatsink again
    -Use prime95 to stress the CPU
    -Check temps with coretemp and speedfan when stressed, idle temps don’t matter as long as they are under 60’ish (although those would be horrible temps, 30-40 would be ideal)

    If you are over 60 when stressed RMA the MB and CPU as you don’t know which is the problem.

    ***edit***
    Did you adjust the Vcore at all?
    which bios are you running?


    I did not adjust the vcore, I am running the latest bios release, I updated last night, I can't remember off the top of my head and I'm away from my desktop at the moment but if you want I can post it when I get home this evening
  4. orangegator said:
    First, you do need a new psu. That one only had 18A on the 12V+ rails (216W). That is what actually powers most of your system. Get a good brand like Corsair with a minimum of 30A.
    Second, if the temperature reads 80C and the heatsink isn't hot, then probably not seated properly. Your best bet is to install it with the motherboard out of the case. It could be a faulty sensor, but I would make absolutely sure the heatsink is on correct first. Those pushpins can be tricky


    I will purchase a new PSU but would that be causing my CPU to overheat? I've heard conflicting opinions on the matter.

    and your right those darn pushpins can be tricky, I like the system my old athlon xp had much better :/

    thanks for the advice.

    I'll post an update after this evening when I work on my comp
  5. well get a real cpu cooler, tose stock ones suck to be honest

    and upgrade that psu (no it should not cause the cpu to overheat)
  6. Godiwa said:
    well get a real cpu cooler, tose stock ones suck to be honest

    and upgrade that psu (no it should not cause the cpu to overheat)


    i know the stock coolers tend to be a tad inadequate but this heat seems more likely to be the result of either improper mounting or some other issue :/
  7. The stock cooler is fine if the cpu is running at stock speed and voltage. You need a better heatsink for overclocking. The crappy psu wouldn't cause overheating. But it could be the cause of the computer having problems booting.
  8. so I took the mobo out of the case and checked to make sure the heat-sink was mounted properly and it was perfect so I guess its either the CPU or the MOBO.

    Guess I'll start the RMA process tomorrow unless anyone has any other suggestions

    I ran the stress test and the temp jumped to 98C :-(
  9. i'm actually having a similar issue.....mine runs vista at 55 degrees in bios
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs