Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Realtek digital audio problem

Last response: in Components
October 23, 2008 4:26:37 PM

I'm having a rather annoying problem with my Realtek HD Audio ALC889A running on a GA P35 DS3 motherboard.

My computer using Win XP Pro Sp2 doesn't find the digital outputs on the sound card. For default output I only have "Realtek HD Audio Output" to choose from, but on default input i have both "Realtek Digital Input" and "Realtek HD Audio Input".

The optical output seems to work in some way because it outputs the shiny red glow but getting no response at all from the receiver. I've tried playing all kinds of audio types but still the same response.

In gigabytes own sound manager there isnt much to choose from regarding digital out, i can choose sampling rate etc but still nothing, even if i turn digital output off the light still shines.

Tried all kinds of drivers, disabling/enabling on board audio in BIOS, but windows just doesnt recognize the digital output. Been googling for hours trying to find a clue of what to do with no results. Tried 2 receivers with the same result...

If anyone uses this motherboard with XP Pro, should there even be a digital output option in sound manager where you choose which output to use? Could it be both receivers being bad?

Getting sick of this now

Please help
October 23, 2008 5:02:28 PM

First off, download the latest drivers directly off the realtek site.

Secondly:

The "Realtek HD Audio Output" should be the default sound playback device in the control panel. After that, make sure the speakers you use are plugged into the right slot (the light green one) on the back of your PC.

The two inputs are for analog and digital audio from microphones, so unless you have a microphone/headset, these do not concern you.

As for BIOS settings, make sure that HD Audio (or whatever the setting is on P35 boards) is set the AUTO and not OFF.

Realteks latest driver version should come with its own control panel. At the very least, you can use it to make sure everything is plugged in right (it sees everything you put into each sound port, even if it has no idea what it is...and its good for testing the setup properly).
October 23, 2008 5:05:58 PM

OK thanks for your reply but I dont think you really understood what my problem was. My analog sound works fine, its the digital audio I cant get to work...
Related resources
October 23, 2008 5:18:30 PM

but it could still be a driver problem
October 23, 2008 5:21:47 PM

I have tried the drivers that came with the motherboard, tried downloading the newest from the motherboard's site and tried downloading the newest Realtek ones with the same result.
October 23, 2008 5:23:22 PM

You don't have both analog and digital connected at the same time do you?
October 23, 2008 6:19:01 PM

That's kind of of my problem, i dont even find the option to choose anything other than using the analog output...
October 23, 2008 9:22:31 PM

What sounds are you trying to play?

I'm willing to bet you get sound if you play a DVD video.
October 24, 2008 9:06:00 AM

Tried movies with DTS, DD 5.1, AC3 and plain stereo files.
October 24, 2008 6:11:16 PM

What I'm asking is: Is the digital port active when you are playing a DVD with a dolby digital soundtrack?
October 24, 2008 6:29:33 PM

The optical wire always outputs a light if thats what you're asking. Now i've tried installing vista and i have a digital output to choose from, I ran into some other problems though, i'll be back with some results.
October 25, 2008 12:52:19 PM

Didnt work in vista either, I've now come to the conclusion that its hardware based. Wether its the sound card thats bad or the receiver I dont know, looks like i have to buy some new stuff, anyway thanks for all replies and help.
November 2, 2008 3:50:48 PM

Hey man I went through the same thing, The thing is in XP the realtek audio HD drivers work perfect giving analog and digital sound out simultaneously. However when I upgraded to Vista I lost this option. (Me you, and the rest of the world)

You now must choose, Analog or digital output, one at a time.

To switch between these right click on the red realtek speaker by the clock (If you have it disabled reenable it for this use)

After right clicking, select audio devices, the screen that comes up will say "playback devices" now you should have at least two items listed, analog or digital output.

(if you don't see both, right click on the analog speaker and click "show disabled and show disconnected devices)

The analog should have a green check mark by it. Right click on the Realtek digital output and click "set as default".

The green check mark now should have followed to the digital output, you will now get sound to your receiver, however not your analog. To test that both work as set, you can right click on one and click "test" the analog will play, right click on digital and click test, it will play.

Leave which ever you need at the moment set as default.

Good Luck,
Cali-Hoh
November 2, 2008 3:58:04 PM

Hey one more thing, if you enable the digital output and still get nothing, your amp may be old and won't support the digital signal incoming to the amp. My amp does DTS, so I just route everything out DTS from the computer to the amp. You can adjust this setting a few places, but the easiest way is to double click the red realtek speaker, (asuming you have digital set as default) click "default format" from the tabs available, and then use the drop down menu and select DTS 5.1 audio. All other options are 2 channel at varying bit rates.

-Cali-Hoh
November 2, 2008 4:03:33 PM

Haha one more thing, I also tried every driver I could get my hand on, however, it screwed up every thing and I actually lost all audio. I had to reinstall windows fresh and just use the latest drivers, switching between 5 sets of drivers was too much for windows. If your still having an issue start fresh with windows, use one driver only, follow the steps I suggested and then see what your outcome is.

Good Luck again,
Cali-Hoh

-Cali-Hoh
May 17, 2009 9:14:04 PM

Hi I have had this problem and am not able to sort it out, I have a acer 2920z with a windows vista home premium,the laptop is 10 days old and has the latest drivers installed... the analog speakers work, but when I put it on Realtek HD output there is no sound,... I am not sure If I need to have external devices to get the output
regards
Oria

Calihoh said:
Haha one more thing, I also tried every driver I could get my hand on, however, it screwed up every thing and I actually lost all audio. I had to reinstall windows fresh and just use the latest drivers, switching between 5 sets of drivers was too much for windows. If your still having an issue start fresh with windows, use one driver only, follow the steps I suggested and then see what your outcome is.

Good Luck again,
Cali-Hoh

-Cali-Hoh

June 4, 2009 5:48:17 AM

Seems that I have the same problem. Did you manage to resolve it?
My MB is Gigabyte EG43M-S2H, Realtek chip is 888
June 29, 2009 7:49:15 PM

Hello I now have analog and digital (spdif) simultanius on windows7 RC1 64 bit
so if it can be off any help hers howe i did that.
right click the speaker down to the right off the screen, player units (or what ever it is named in english, it where you change analog or digital) click the tab recording right click stereo mix ( i have realtek) click on properties, click tab listen, click in box liten to, in dorp down chose your digital output, ok.right click stereo mix, selekt as standard unit. now go to first tab (the one were you pick standard unit for plying sound) and pick your analog as standard. your don, works for me now i have analog sound to my tv and digital to my surrondsystem simultanius. hop its of use for some one.
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 5:40:27 PM

hey there.
I just bought a new computer with a monitor that has integrated speakers (Amillio Desktop Pi 3635), and I also can't get the sound to work. In playback devices I have "Realtek Audio Output" (which apparently works, when tested the green bar at the side moves and all that), however, no sound is produced.
The problem does not appear to be driver related, the sound cable is plugged into the green "Audio in" socket in the back of the monitor and the conventional green one connected to the sound card.

Any suggestions anyone?

In Playback devices my other options are "RealTek HDMI Output" (not plugged in, i reckon it's the wee grey adapter that came with the screen that has an input that looks similar to that of a VGA cable)

RealTek Digital Output, which as I say, apparently works but does not. This is set as default.

And a second "RealTek HDMI output" which also apparently works when tested but, in reality, does not.
October 11, 2009 6:19:55 PM

Have you tried setting speakers as default device?
November 30, 2009 7:50:12 AM

Hey Thanks alot Cali-Hoh , some awesome wor u saved me lie a million hours ,
November 30, 2009 1:38:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!