r1david

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Hello,

I have a question about media center cases. I did a search on the forum and didnt find what i was looking for.

I have been looking at a media center case for my living room, mainly because they look like a home theater component and will fit nicely in with my other components. The question is I am trying to find a case that would power up with a remote. I dont mean power up from standby like a mce remote, I am hoping that some of these cases could actually power up the computer from it being completely off. I know this is a minor thing, but I would think if my receiver and other components can power up with a remote, why cant my media center pc?

Does anyone have an idea if there are cases that allow this? If so, what should i look for in the spec when trying to find a case like this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

David

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
My plan would be to connect a remote control power plug to the wall (either IR or X10) and program a learning remote to control that.

If you set the BIOS to power-on after power failure the computer should trn on when the power does....

That way you can use any case you like.

If you feel a little more adventurous you could rewire the power button on the case and custom build an ir receiver to activate the power switch header on your motehrboard....

You're right, your pc could be powered up with a remote. The problem is I don't remember reading about a pc case that actually came with an IR receiver already built in. I read an article about purchasing and installing a device in a home theater magazine I purchased at a book store. As will_chellam pointed out you could use any case you like.

Have you checked the home cinema section of this forum?

r1david

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Hey, just got back and saw the replies, thanks for the help guys, ill def check out that case, reading that article it kind of sounds like most htpc cases have this feature, ill definitely be reading some reviews, thanks again!