Solved

XP Mode or Virtual PC

compared to just XP Mode is it far more advantageous to have Windows Virtual PC installed where we can have Win XP as guest?

please note that the host OS is Win 7 64 bit
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mode virtual
  1. XP Mode is Virtual PC.
  2. Ijack said:
    XP Mode is Virtual PC.

then why is the installation process so different for each?

3. Explain installation process... what installation?

One is part of the operating system, the other is a complete stand-alone system. (comparing Win 7 XP Mode to installing XP itself).
  4. capital_one said:
    then why is the installation process so different for each?

Because XP Mode is designed to be simple to install and contains a pre-configured XP image to save you the trouble of installing the OS. But it's still just Virtual PC. Once you have installed it you should find a Virtual PC item in your Start Menu and you can use it to create other virtual machines.

Why would Microsoft go to the trouble of re-inventing the wheel when they already have a virtualization solution for workstations?
  5. Ijack said:
    Because XP Mode is designed to be simple to install and contains a pre-configured XP image to save you the trouble of installing the OS. But it's still just Virtual PC. Once you have installed it you should find a Virtual PC item in your Start Menu and you can use it to create other virtual machines.

Why would Microsoft go to the trouble of re-inventing the wheel when they already have a virtualization solution for workstations?

please re read my question , in my first post, i asked is it advantageous in any way...... XP Mode over standard virtual PC installation or vice versa?
  6. Please re-read my answer. XP Mode is Virtual PC. The only difference is that you don't have to install the OS in XP Mode (but I'm guessing that you already knew that).

No - there would be no advatantage in installing Virtual PC as you would have to buy, or already have, a copy of XP.
  7. This is like watching a dog chase it's tail. He doesn't get it.
  8. Best answer
    I installed virtual mode xp mode on a couple machines, no advantage that I can see. No help with software compatibility, that's for sure. Not even sure why they created it.
  9. Best answer selected by capital_one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Virtual PC Windows XP