Intermitent freeze on first Bios screen

PhilSense

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2003
Apologies for not having the full spec for this PC, standard midi tower with a PS of 350w but I wonder if anyone has a genral solution for this please. PC Tower is about 30 months old, I built it, probalby has AMD XP 2200 or the like on a motherboard from around that time with onboard video and 1GB of memory. It is at clients so I do not have rest of specs.

The problem being that on say 2 or 3 mornings a week when it is powered on it halts/freezes on about the first line or two of the motherboard bios screen. When they switch it on and off a couple of times it then boots ok.

I have checked for loose wiring but cannot find any. Prior to replacing the hard drive I ran PC Check 6.2 thoroughly and it only noted a faulty hard drive

The thing is, the problem did not occur until I brought it back and replaced the faulty hard drive with a new one and did a fresh XP install - its really weird and my clients moan about it but then it goes ok for a couple of days so they don't part with it.

I would love to be able to visit them with a solution for it.

Thanks

Sorry, there is no quick/easy answer for you.
It could be any of a number of things including a failing PSU, failing motherboard, failing CPU, failing RAM, failing GPU, overheating system, etc.

Try taking a can of compressed air to it and give it a run through with The Ulitmate Boot CD.
Hopfully this can narrow down where the issue is.