Sign in with
Your question

What is the most secure set up for a new install?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 8, 2011 5:48:12 PM

I would like to build a new system and do the following:

1. Purchase a new hard drive and install windows xp pro on it.
2. Purchase a second, new drive and install all of the programs I want to use, Word, Powerpoint, Photoshop, along with all of my other programs.
3. Write protect the windows operating system disk, to help eliminate viruses and trojans from getting at it.
4.Give myself a restricted privileges login and always use that login to work on the computer when doing things like using the net or loading software from a flash drive or email.

I have limited understanding of how these things work so please let me know if this will work/help in the prevention of spyware/viruses ect.
If there is another way of configuring hard drives or a method of partitioning that may work, I would love to hear your ideas.

More about : secure set install

January 8, 2011 6:54:37 PM

patty_07 said:
I would like to build a new system and do the following:

1. Purchase a new hard drive and install windows xp pro on it. OK
2. Purchase a second, new drive and install all of the programs I want to use, Word, Powerpoint, Photoshop, along with all of my other programs. There is no need for another HDD for programs; they have to be installed to the OS. You can use the second HDD for your data files.
3. Write protect the windows operating system disk, to help eliminate viruses and trojans from getting at it. Won't work, when you boot to windows it opens, changes, appends various files. If it cannot do so, it will not boot. Use a good antivrius and a good firewall program - I use PCTools firewall (free), and AVGFree one one machine and MS Security Essentials on the other machine.
4.Give myself a restricted privileges login and always use that login to work on the computer when doing things like using the net or loading software from a flash drive or email. OK, the free antivirus programs will scan email and flash drives as they arrive/connect to your computer. If your account has limited privileges, you will not be able to load software; you would have to log-on as Administrator, or with another user account that has administrator privileges.

I have limited understanding of how these things work so please let me know if this will work/help in the prevention of spyware/viruses ect. see above
If there is another way of configuring hard drives or a method of partitioning that may work, I would love to hear your ideas. You can use 1 HDD of sufficient capacity to have XP and programs on the first partition (primary, active), and "My Documents" on a second primary partition on the same HDD. Depending on the number of programs you need, you could use a 500GB HDD partitioned into 2 partitions: the first could be 100GB for XP and the programs, leaving the second partition at 400GBs for your "My Documents."

see above
m
l
January 8, 2011 7:11:21 PM

Thanks, just wanted to clarify one point. Do I write protect the second partition, if that is even possible or will even help, or are you recommending two partitions so that I can re-install the Windows files if I want to try and remove a virus in the future?
Thanks,
Pat
m
l
January 8, 2011 7:56:27 PM

No, if you write-protect it, you cannot add files or data. I suggested two partitions so your data is safe (on the second primary partition) if XP goes lame from a glitch, virus, etc. If you have to do clean install of XP later, just remember to choose the XP partition (e.g., the 100GB partition I suggested earlier).
Please note that if the HDD fails, you will lose the XP partition and the data partition - backup your data often.
m
l
Related resources
!