Updating BIOS on my CPU & Mobo(P5Q Deluxe) –- First timer...

craige4u

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I am getting Q9550 (E0 Stepping) and Asus P5Q Deluxe in the next four days, and I would like to get latest bios and I am aware there is a certain risk involved in updating bios, so what precaution do I need to take care of?

Also, bios update is for motherboard AND is there any kind of update in processor also ??

I also checked asus website for mobo bios and while selecting it is asking for the OS…
Now I have multiple HDD’s with one running XP 32bit, other Vista 64bit – So what shall I select in OS?

Also please confirm that this is the latest bios indeed:
“P5Q Deluxe BIOS 1406”

There are also other updates like Audio etc… if I have to update that shall I be overwriting the old one’s ? How’s the procedure goes ?

Next, once I updated bios and say if I completely reformat my HDD, do I have to again update bios?

If using a floppy drive, backup your old bios while flashing. It will ask you if you want to save. The new bios may give you an unexpected problem, such as limiting your overclocking (if you're an overclocker) or even cause your system to crash. I also recommend loading asus crashfree bios protection software on a usb flash drive, in case you have a bad flash. On the same usb drive, load either your old bios, new bios program, or both. If 1406 is the bios at the top of the bios page, then it's the latest version for your board. It will include all previous fixes from all older bios programs for your board. The crashfree bios program should be on your asus motherboard driver cd.

hotrod4u

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
HELLO,I WANTED THE Q6600 MYSELF BUT I'M A NEWBIE TO UPGRADES,I'VE HAD A PC FOR YEARS, AND I SCREWED UP AND BOUGHT A REFURB GATEWAY GM5626 FOR $350 IT'S O/K BUT IT WON'T PLAY THE HI-END GAMES VERY WELL LIKE BROTHERS IN ARMS HELLS HWAY OR CRYSIS,SO I PICKED UP A FEW THING TO HELP OUT 9800GTX+ / 650WATT PSU / duo E6600 CPU 2.4G /Thermaltake RSI FAN 2500RPM+10. i have a Question will i use my same ram pc2 5300? will the money i've spent upgrading i could'nt got a monster :bounce: q&a WANTED