Multi GPU on P35 Platinum

rishicool2002

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Hi

I have recently purchased a MSI P35 Platinum Motherboard.

Can I connect two Graphic Cards on this motherboard as it has two identical PCI-E slots. However, I'm confused as documentation says one is x16 and another is x4. I am currently using NVIDIA 8600 GT - 512 MB Card on one slow, which is marked as x16. Please let me know if I can connect to another Graphic Card on the motherboard with atleast same specifications.

Thanks...!!!

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
It will run at 16x/4x speed, which is the worse. This means the first card will be at full speed, while the second card will only be running at 4x, 1/4th the power/bandwidth/ability, whatever you want to call it, then factor in Crossfire scailing..... Basically you will be wasting money on a 2nd card regardless of what it is.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
While those older cards had not much loss of performance running in tandem 16x to 4x, thats not your problem.

The more important factor, is the technicallity that you cannot use NVIDIA cards in tandem - SLI on the intel chipset. You can use 2 nvidia cards just fine for non-sli usage like 4 monitors, but thats all you get. If you pickup two ati cards of 2XXX or 3XXX series, they would do great on that board.

rishicool2002

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Thanks for all your help guys...

Although i'm not able to use another graphic card here.... however ... atleast i'm saving some money with all your help..

Thanks again