Sign in with
Your question

Is this the best configuration for protecting computer?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 8, 2011 5:53:59 PM

I would like to build a new system and do the following:

1. Purchase a new hard drive and install windows xp pro on it.
2. Purchase a second, new drive and install all of the programs I want to use, Word, Powerpoint, Photoshop, along with all of my other programs.
3. Write protect the windows operating system disk, to help eliminate viruses and trojans from getting at it.
4.Give myself a restricted privileges login and always use that login to work on the computer when doing things like using the net or loading software from a flash drive or email.

I have limited understanding of how these things work so please let me know if this will work/help in the prevention of spyware/viruses ect.
If there is another way of configuring hard drives or a method of partitioning that may work, I would love to hear your ideas.

I also have this question under the security section because I was unsure which category would best apply.
Thanks,
Patrick
January 8, 2011 6:59:30 PM

Hi patty_07 [:tigsounds:4]

#1: You are not going to lock the system drive. Windows needs to make too many changes, sometimes by the minute to the drive, just to function.

#2: You can redirect most programs to be installed on a different drive by making a Program Files folder on the second drive. However, you will have a royal mess on your hands trying to do a proper backup, if you do such things.

#3: Making a User profile with limited privileges is a good idea. Don't delete the Administrator account, you'll need it once in awhile.

#4: Buy, (get that? Buy) a good anti virus program. Hint: McAfee is useless junk. Norton will put thousands of registry entries in your machine and will be nearly impossible to completely remove after you figure out it is more trouble than most viruses you will ever encounter. What's left? a few, but I like kaspersky anti virus because it is not hard to use and finds/gets rid of more than the others. It can be removed using add/remove programs and doesn't leave a ton of junk behind if it removed. It uses a low amount of system resources to run and can be configured to do what you want it to do to each drive.

Get a good firewall. This leaves out Norton (Symantic products). I'd love to post the one I use but there is a copyright question remaining on it, so I can't. (ISS BlackIce)

BTW, you have a PM.

Edit: Yup, the spelling thing again
January 8, 2011 7:06:57 PM

Thanks very much, I'll plan on doing what you say.
BTW... PMg?
January 8, 2011 7:17:47 PM

patty_07 said:
Thanks very much, I'll plan on doing what you say.
BTW... PMg?

Yea... I just fixed that. It means Private Message. You access them by enabling the right column of this screen. There is a weird looking link there to do that on the right side of the screen. There will be a box near the top of the screen that will show you have 1 new message. Click it to see it.
!