Is my PSU dying or is it my PC Overheating?

cthulhu

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I have suddenly started having problems with my PC recently. Often, when i'm using my PC it will just turn off, and the power light goes orange, intermittantly flashing (On the dell website it says that this indicates a power issue, but i have been told that it can also mean overheating). I don't really know much about PCs but i was wondering if anyone knows if i need to replace the PSU or the case, or something else? I have been trying different ventilation methods (Such as different airflow and taking the side off etc) but none of this has improved it. It seems to happen more when its warm, which is what made me think it was perhaps overheating, but someone has suggested to me that the PSU itself may be overheating. To complicate things even further, its seems to have only started doing this since i moved to my new house, although the room it is in is roughly the same size as the one it was in before.

Sorry if i haven't explained this properly. This is the details of my system:

Dell Dimension 4700 In Original Small Tower Case
Intel 915g Chipset
Hiper 450 watt PSU
Intel P4 2.8ghz ht
1.5 gb ddr2 RAM
Maxtor 250gb Hard Drive (SATA)
BFG 7600gt oc
Creative Audigy SE

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i will definitely say the PSU. I worked with a Dell once, and the power button light would go Orange as soon as the comp booted up. Turned out to be a bad power supply. It had been running 24/7 for nearly 5 years though.

+1 to the bad power supply, probably the most likely source,but it could also be the actual power coming into either that particular household plug or to your house in general. Have you noticed any other electrical irregularities in your new place? Flickering lights, television etc. ? I live in a fairly rural area and some neighbors have prolems with "dirty power" or end of the line low supply and surges.

The first solution would be to get a new power supply and install it.
Good replacement choice. Antec Earthwatts 430w at $39
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

Good replacement choice if you want a power supply that has more power, either for a more powerful graphic card upgrade or for a future build
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

You might check into getting a UPS. Something along the line of this, but i'd do more research before doing it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101343

rammar16

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
PSU if there tech support says that then that is probably it...

i would say go to power supplies go under corsair and get their 450 watt model it will be 60 bucks or so and should fix you right up.

hope this helps

cthulhu

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for the help guys! I've managed to get a laptop to use, so i'm going to go and order a PSU now. I just noticed that i didnt mention i am running two optical drives (A DVD-Rewriter and a DVD-Rewriter) would this affect the size of PSU i'd need much? I think my 7600gt only needs a 375watt?

Thanks again for your help!

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
hi, I would recommend a 400w of above. Just so that you can have that extra. Incase you need to change or replace any components then you have the extra wattage there. Even at that 400w is still quite low...
If there is not much of a jump in price then buy a 450w PSU.

And... try to be eco-friendly... you love the earth... he loves you lol :p

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
oh and I agree with universedo (along with the CPU... and the moboard..) but I wont get carried away.

Hope I helped you and sorry if I was talking a load of it... :D