Two PC's... neither powers up. NEED HELP!

omnizzle

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hello everyone,

I recently built a PC for my sister. Components are as follows:

CPU: Intel C2Q Q6600
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-p31-s3g
GPU: Geforce 8800GTS 320 mb
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W

Ok, so when I first assembled everything, the PC turned on, the fans spun, but I forgot to plug in the PCI-E plug into the video card so I got the loud screeching noise. I turned off the pc, unplugged everything and plugged in the PCI-E plug. Turned the PC back on, and I got no video on the monitor. So I assumed that I forgot to plug something in, something was short circuiting the mobo, etc, so I took it apart to examine the computer. When I got everything in order, the PC would not turn on at all -- no fans would spin, no lights, nothing.

I posted on some boards and figured it was my PSU. So I took the PSU out of my old computer that I built a year ago (an Antec Liberty 400W PSU) and tried it with my sister's computer. Nothing happened again. Now I tried to put the PSU back into my PC, and now the same problem happens with my PC. No power, no fans, nothing. When I hit the power switch, I hear a little click (only sometimes), I think from the power supply, but then nothing happens.

Basically, now I have 2 expensive bricks laying around in my house and need help!

A couple of other things: the outlet I tried my sister's computer on initially is not the same one that I tried it when it wouldn't boot up at first. Maybe it has something to do with the surge protector/outlet (though my PC was working perfectly fine in it until I tried switching the power supplies).

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Sounds like both your power supplies has a problem.Did you try your sister's PSU in your PC?Do you have another PSU you can try?Perhaps something on your sister's machine is messing up the PSU's.

omnizzle

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I haven't tried my sister's PSU in my PC, and I don't have another power supply I can try. I was thinking I could go pick one up from Best Buy or something to try it out on my computer.

It's not a grounding issue, because my PC was working perfectly fine before I tried it on my sister's. Once I switched it back, it has the same issue as my sister's comp.

omnizzle

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Alright, so I took both PSU's to a shop and got them tested, both worked fine! So then I plugged my PSU back in and tried it and my computer turned on. However, my sister's still does not turn on. Same issue -- no fans, no POST, nothing. Would a grounding issue cause the case fans to not spin?