New rig - is DDR3 the way to go?

geddeth

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
I'm building a gaming rig for a friend (again), and he specifically mentioned the old system-builders' hate-phrase "make it future-proof".

In his case though, it does have some merit, as the last rig I built for him (the one now gone out of service) had a motherboard from 2001 (Soltek SL-75DRV2) ..!

So I am now considering how he can use this new rig for a good while, and only upgrade minor components, e.g. RAM and graphics card.

My major consideration is in regard to DDR3.

I assume DDR3 is going to be standard for most motherboards within 6-12 months. I am also fairly certain that current DDR3 RAM speeds and timings alone do not justify going for DDR3 right now - unless perhaps you satisfy yourself with some cheap DDR3 sticks now, and wait for higher frequency modules to become available at a later time?

But will current DDR3 motherboards be able to support the future speeds of DDR3 modules?

I'm considering the MSI P45D3 Platinum for the above scenario, but if you know of other more suitable boards, please let me know.

Bottom line: is DDR3 worth going for? And are current DDR3 mobos capable of supporting "proper" DDR speeds in, say, 2 years?

Thanks for your input.

/Geddeth

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
never liked being on the "leading bleeding" edge as it changes too fast and co$$t$ too much in time and effort,DDR2 is a known factor whereas DDR3 is still developing and in all probability will for a while yet ,,and then,,along came DDR xxx,given that DDR 4-5 are being used already on video cards the lifespan of DDR3 may not be that long,six of one half dozen of the other,bottom line do the research and then make your best call look for the best warranty,might need it..:)

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i agree whit dokk2. some Low timing ddr2 800 is quite cheap and fast.

If i was buying a new computer right now, my choice would be Q9xxx on a nice mobo, LOW timing 800mhz memory, whit a SLI or X2 gpu + a good aircooling for a nice OC.

you can currently build an AWESOME computer for 1000$ for sure !

blaze85

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Depending on how high you are planning to OC, if at all. ddr2 800 can only be used with a FSB of 400 or lower without OCing your memory. DDR2 is so reasonably priced right now, it might be worth considering ddr2 1066 and wait until ddr3 is more affordable.

geddeth

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply guys. The rig will most likely not be OC'ed. At the most, any automatic OC features may be activated.

Please consider that he won't be upgrading his motherboard anytime soon. Will DDR2 still survive 3-4 years from now? I doubt it.

sailer

Splendid
Here's my 2 cents worth. Since the guy tends to keep his computer a long time, like 7 years (2001 computer?), I'd go for a DDR3 capable computer, getting fairly cheap DDR3 rather than performance grade ram. Using only an automatic overclock, even cheap DDR3 ram should do fine. Sure, DDR2 is cheaper, but this computer is going to have to last a long time and DDR2 will eventually be a dinosaur. Like a 2001 computer possibly still uses DDR ram, and that's expensive compared to DDR2. So in a few years, if a ram upgrade is wanted, upgrading the DDR3 will be easier. As I say, its just my 2 cents worth.

With Intel systems, the ddr2 boards and cpus will be available for several years. Core i7 is a great product, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. In fact, if you're strapped for cash, a Dell core i7 system isn't a bad deal. A few days ago they had one for $1000 with 23 inch monitor. And dell has apparantly abandoned the btx format, so changing a dell board has gotten easier. I just changed my hp board to get 4 memory slots, and the hp vista coa works fine with my ecs board.

geddeth

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Sailer: that was sort of my thoughts as well.

o1die: I'm reusing as much as possible from his old rig, so that means case (Super Lanboy) and a few other parts, including monitor.

G

No sense in spending upwards of $200 on 4GB of DDR3 memory when 4GB of DDR2-800 5-5-5-15 memory can be had for as low as $13 after rebate right now.

DDR3 mobos are more expensive as well.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Hey wait a sec. I have a 780i mobo, Q9550, and 2 4GB sticks of corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 4-4-4-12. If I OC my Q9550 up to 3.6 - 4 ghz what do I need to change the memory too and how?

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I thnik mem should be Sync at this point.... but maybe someone can help you better than me, im kinda new to OC. My E6850 run 3.6 and Sync mode = my mem is running 800mhz. I wait my new P-black to oc it.

geddeth

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Thanks for the replies folks.
So what I'm hearing is that DDR3 is not worth it (yet) and apparently LGA775 is dead in a few years anyway (hadn't thought of that), so I should go for a straight up DDR2-based build.

I can dig that.

I'm liking the C2D E8x00s though, so I'll probably do a cheaper DDR2 build based on that.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Here is when DDR 3 will be worth it. When it's the same price or cheaper than DDR2. Faster RAM gives you little to no actual speed gains when compared to slower RAM. The only way I would recommend DDR 3 is if you were going to build a i7 system since it is required in that case. You may end up doing that since you want the system to last as long as possible.

TRENDING THREADS