Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SATA n IDE drives to 1 Logical

Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2010 4:57:59 PM

I just received a new 1TB SATA drive for xmas, but I wanted to also make use of my current IDE drive instead of trying to sell it.

I want to know if there is a way to run both the drives in the computer as one logical drive? If there is, will this slow down the speed of the new SATA drive? any other complications?

Thanks!
a b G Storage
January 7, 2010 11:59:40 PM

You could make one drive from two SATA HDDs using RAID 0, but I do not believe you can do that with 1 SATA HDD and 1 PATA HDD - check your motherboard manual.
m
l
January 8, 2010 3:18:18 AM

Well my mobo is A780FullHD and it says something about support for JBOD... is this what I'm looking for?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 8, 2010 10:47:46 AM

JBOD is not a true raid config. It's no different than having seperate drives.
For data safety, I would run the drives separate so if one drive fails it doesn't take the data on the other one with it.
m
l
January 8, 2010 2:48:20 PM

Yea, I was reading a little about JBOD and I know its not truely RAID, but would it allow me to combine a SATA and IDE drive into one logical drive?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 8, 2010 3:35:31 PM

Why not just run them as separate drives? You can try spanning the drives but that usually requires the drives to be blank before hand. I also believe you can't span the system drive.
m
l
January 8, 2010 3:44:43 PM

I could do that, but the question I really want answered is whether or not JBOD will run SATA and IDE together, and whether or not it will slow down the faster of the two drives?

I know RAID 0 will only double the capacity of the smallest drive, which is self-defeating in my scenario.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 8, 2010 3:53:51 PM

It depends on if your SATA drives and IDE drives are on the same controller. Some MB will use two different controllers.
If one controller runs them all then yes you should be able to do JBOD. Speed will not be affected in a JBOD setup. A raid 0 or 1, yes it could cause problems.
January 8, 2010 4:05:53 PM

So does that mean that depending on which drive the data is physically being written/read to/from will determine the speed?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 8, 2010 4:18:40 PM

In a raid 0,1 or 5 situation yes. But if your going to be doing a true raid you would want all the disks to be the same. Mixing drives can be done but is not recommended.
m
l
!