I'm so confused with my HD speeds. Please help!!

Hey guys,

I just installed my new WD black Caviar 500gb 32mb cache HD on Windows 7 in achi mode.. And I'm having problems figuring out if I'm getting the right speeds I'm supposed to with it. (Sata II 3.0gb)

Now for some reason my Windows 7 is reporting that I am running in something called Multi-DMA mode 2...??? According to what I have researched is a really slow speed. However I ran some benchmarks and tests and heres some pics showing everything:

I just need to know if I'm getting the right speeds I'm supposed to because it just doesn't seem like it...

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about confused speeds help
  1. Any help?? Please?..
  2. They look fine to me. Why do you think those look too slow?
  3. You have to understand that even though SATA-2 is rated at 3.0Gbit/sec (about 300MByte/sec), there are very, very few drives that can actually transfer data at anything close to that rate of speed. Some SSDs can get up above 200MByte/sec, but individual hard drives are closer to 100MByte/sec.

Interconnection standards like SATA are designed to last for several years - as such they need to be considerably faster than the fastest drives available when they are introduced so that they don't become instantly obsolete. This is why SATA-3 (600MByte/sec) is being introduced now - the fastest SSDs have just about reached SATA-2's capacity. There won't be any 600MByte/sec drives available for quite some time, so SATA-3 will be a viable connection standard for at least a few years.

Your transfer rates of over 90MByte/sec are pretty typical for a hard drive.
  4. The maximum speed you will get from a device running in multi-word dma mode 2 is about 15 MB/s. Are you sure you're looking at the settings of the new drive?
    As sminlal said, the test results from HD Tune are perfectly normal.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 HD Western Digital Storage