Can't get surround out Z-5500

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Alright, this is really driving me crazy. I can't seem to get any surround sound out of my speakers. I only get output out of the two front speakers. All the others won't budge, and the receiver always displays stereo sound. What do I do here? I already configured everything the way it's supposed to, 6CH and everything.

System: Z-5500
Motherboard: GA-P45-something
Drivers: ALC888 I think
Connected with optical cable

I also tried it with my PS3, where it works perfectly. It's just my PC that only wants to output in stero. :cry:

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
You need to give us more information on what your trying to do and what your doing it with. What operating system are you using? And as mike99 said what sound source? How do you have the speakers connected to the computer? Optical, Coax, or Direct.

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Yes, I configured everything the way it's suppposed to be. Control panel I chose 5.1 surround sound speakers. Connected via optical like I said in the OP. OS is XP.

I have an HD movie on my computer and it will only play through 2 speakers, if that's what you mean by source. So I don't hear any voices (which should come from the center speaker) nor do I hear anything from the back speakers. Same thing when I test the speakers in the config file, only 2 speakers output sound. Videogames will also only output in stereo.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9996/realtekpa5.jpg (the configuration menu, if it helps)

desertdesign

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
There is a switch in the back to switch between 6ch and stereo of the z-5500 counsel.... also make sure that all your drivers are up to date and all that good stuff.Wipe and reinstall need be.Do a sound test via your sound control options.Should beep through all 6 speakers.If this happens then it could be your dvd software or there is an option clicked somewhere in your sound control panel that shouldnt be clicked or needs to be clicked.Also make sure on your counsel that your "input" is set to optical.Then mess around from there.I think its your drivers probably since it works on your ps3.

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks, I tried everything. Updated to newest version. Tried the back switch, though I think that's only for the analog channel. I tried playing a DVD in VLC. I can choose the audio device (5.1, stereo, mono and A/52 over spdif). 5.1 doesn't give me any voices (and Z-5500 states Stereo is coming out). Stereo and mono give me all the sound, though it's also in stereo.

With A/52 over spdif something weird happens though. While the Z-5500 receiver does state DD digital is being outputted the sound just stutters. Anyone got anymore ideas? I'm about to burst out in tears here.

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Found out I have ALC889a instead of ALC888. It's built in the GA-EP45-DS3L mobo I have.

I also have Far Cry 2 on my PC. It's supposed to automatically play in DD 5.1. But of course this is not the case here. Just plays in stereo. :(

Many sound cards are unable to output dolby digital surround on the fly from a non-digital source (like a game). Unless your sound card supports DD-Live, you'll only get surround over an optical connection with pre encoded sources like movies. The analog connection is your best bet for surround in games.

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
What if movies give the same result as games? Would that mean I do have DD Live and the problem lies elsewhere?

Is there anyway to check if my motherboard supports DD Live?