Sign in with
Your question

Microsoft updates turned off

Last response: in Windows XP
January 9, 2011 1:20:21 PM

:non:  I made the mistake of updating from Microsoft web site and now have all sorts of problems.I use google as my desktop sidebar and web browser.How do I get rid of these updates and thus return to my nicely customised setup? :fou: 
January 9, 2011 2:13:00 PM

you can use system restore to take the hard drive back to the time before you installed the updates. The update installation is supposed to create a restore point, before it updates.
either that or just do a repair install of the operating system, this wipes all the updates.
Use a professional all in one security program, instead of the updates. Avoid free security downloads, they do not protect your system as well as a professional security program.
TIP-- after shutting off the updates permanently, install microsoft TWEAK IU, which allows you to turn off the ultra irritating message balloons. These messages will flash on your desktop: "your computer may be at risk! turn on automatic updates now!" Just ignore it, and turn off the messages.
January 9, 2011 2:29:07 PM

If you don't want to have automatic updates installed, and have turned them off, and don't want XP nagging you about it, go to:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Security Center

In the box on the left side of the screen, under 'Resources', click the bottom item, "Change the way Security Center Alerts me" and uncheck "Automatic Updates." You'll never here from Windows again on the matter.

Related resources
January 9, 2011 2:38:38 PM

Another great suggestion, everybody's doing it.
January 9, 2011 4:47:16 PM

Hey now... I don't suggest turning off automatic updates to those that can't install just the ones they actually need, just how to get rid of the nag. I myself study the updates and see what they will affect and try them in a donor computer first if in doubt. Some people are content not taking any updates or hotfixes and don't worry about various vulnerabilities that have exploited and finally corrected by M$. I guess, "to each his own."

January 18, 2011 1:35:03 AM

:) 
soundguruman said:
you can use system restore to take the hard drive back to the time before you installed the updates. The update installation is supposed to create a restore point, before it updates.
either that or just do a repair install of the operating system, this wipes all the updates.
Use a professional all in one security program, instead of the updates. Avoid free security downloads, they do not protect your system as well as a professional security program.
TIP-- after shutting off the updates permanently, install microsoft TWEAK IU, which allows you to turn off the ultra irritating message balloons. These messages will flash on your desktop: "your computer may be at risk! turn on automatic updates now!" Just ignore it, and turn off the messages.

:)  Thanx will try that out i'm using a Dreamweaver 30day trail to manage my system so don't want to reconfigure to a time before i downloaded updates (i was just interupted by a MS update screen) I will think some more
!