Duo 2 core E6700 2.66Ghz,Nvidia 8800 GTX ultra XFX (worth to overclock

soli

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Ok so as the my thread is stating my system has:Duo 2 core E6700 2.66Ghz,Nvidia 8800 GTX ultra XFX.

Ive posted a theread regarding finding good heatsinks for both to keep them cool from the heat,and finally after I founded something available for the GPU cooling(CPU cooling is easy to find,lots of aftermarket stuff available),I discussed with some peeps that I know some experienced in overclocking and some not,but in major all have PC knowledge and built their own PC's.

So i'll only post the OC guys who have experience their thoughts,this is what they said: They said that E6700 and 8800GTX goes fine together ,kinda like a harmony thing,no one pushing its limits but using up all their power evenly.

They said if i want to see good benchamrks coming out from my PC with overclocking them both ,they say yes I will,"but since my primary objective is to gain into the gaming world" they said I wont see much diffenence in FPS,I will only see max of 5 FPS gain.

They say the reason for this is is becuase nor the GPU nor the CPU lacks behind eachother with performance and if one was lacking then the other then you only overclock the one that lacks with performance and youll gain frame rate increase.But since they both work in harmony if I would ever overclock something it should be both,but the result of overclocking them both will be around 5 FPS LOL.

Now I found zalman hrs-88 and vr-1000 for the GPU,110mm fan heatsink from zalman for the CPU,some well rated extreme thermal,and thermal cleaner all for price around $150.

I have no problem spending $150 to keep things cool from overclocking,but if I only gain 5 FPS,spending those money isnt worth it and I' will keep it stock settings.

What you guys think will the overclocking of this 2 be vast improvement or just mild?????

If I were you, I would post the 8800GTX Ultra on ebay for apprx 120.00 and it will likely sell, then apply that money and another 100.00 to 150.00 bucks to get a new video card and then OC your CPU. The CPU will likely be a bottleneck in some cases with the new video card but it makes much more sense than spending 150.00 to OC something that won't benefit you near as much as a new video card. The new video cards use less power and generate much less heat.

I just did that with 3 - 8800GTX ACS3 video cards and got a new GTX 275 and had money left over. The performance is about the same but at least I don't dim the lights in the house anymore booting up my pc and I don't have to have a floor fan next to me to keep from melting.

What motherboard are you using? You might be able to upgrade the cpu as well depending on what cpu's your motherboard supports. Sell yours on ebay too, I see they are getting alot for them from people that want to upgrade but their systems don't support much higher cpus.

You could get a good Q9550 if your mobo supports quads and then OC or get an E8500 if thats supported. That will get you by nicely.

Its a win - win situation my friend... ;)

soli

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
thats if i can sell it for $120 on ebay,more like selling it for $100 and then spending another 150 for better GPU and another 70 for the CPU heatsink and voila I guess for $230 I will gain performance.I just wish I though about this earlier like a month a go because they were selling 4870X2 2gb from Sapphire at newegg for $200.

If I would ever upgrade to newer GPU it will be the one with 2 chips in it and most likely 2gb onboard memory,question is will then my 550W power supply be enough?????? :pfff:

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
well, if you can order from newegg, pick up these:
CPU HS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

Add 2 120mm fans of your choice for a push-pull configuration, or if you need it a little quieter, maybe only one.

For the GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016

and attach another 120mm fan to it with zipties or something.

add in some thermal grease like AC5 or some newer stuff, and you're good to go for less than $75, and you will be able to maintain a serious overclock

in terms of FPS, it depends on the game and how much you succeed in OC'ing the stuff. You will see an increase, but it depends on the game. I will say between 5 and 15 FPS increase, but it all depends on how much you overclock.

EDIT: guess i was beat to the punch.....

soli

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
not bad idea but if look lil been into it the CPU heatsink is cheaper than the 110mm fan heatsink from Zalman,but for this heatsink I would have to but seperate bracket to attach it on my 775 socket in order to make the heatsink fit and not be loose.

The GPU heatsink is cheaper but doesnt fit the 8800gtx only fits,the GTS and GT OC I think,same company makes the best heatsink called accelero xtreme 8800,I turned every stone upside down but cant find it,only 1 is available at Amazon and since is the last one including shipping cost $150,comparing to its real price which use to be $50-$60 including shipping.

as for the thermal paste AC5,the most expensive AC5 runs for around $20 (has metal particals in it) but its not the best of the best on the market,right now the best of the best is the GELID Solutions GC-Extreme ,and goes for around $17.

so I already know that if I overclock $150 is the price that will cost me,but any more opinions out there,will overclocking E6700 and 8800 GTX bring good increased performance FPS wise?

Here are two under $45 heatsinks that are pretty popular:

Sunbeam
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

Xigmatec Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029
This particular package has the highly recommended backing plate included.

They both require a somewhat different approach to applying thermal compound.
Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

And they are pretty large, so they might not fit inside your case.

Just prepare for some super high heat in your case OC'ing that 8800GTX Ultra. Honestly you will get better results from my suggestion to replace the video card and get a good cpu heatsink and OC your cpu.

Spending that kind of money to OC old hardware is going backwards IMO. If you took out your old video card, put it in a drawer and spent what you are talking about spending with maybe another 50-100 bucks will blow away OC'ing your old card and be a heck of a lot cooler.

I know, I've tried that already...

soli

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Englander I know where you coming from and the same thing I was told by my buddies that overclock,they said if i want to get some results that i should upgrade to better GPU and just overclock the CPU.
They also asked me what are my results FPS in the latest games I play,I told them COD4 and COD WAW in stock settings I get around 70-80 steady but sometimes it can go up to 100FPS depends of the map places,if i have the settings set on low in the game then I get the steady 125 FPS,and that not bad iven on low settings the game still looks nice and impressive and its good enough for competitions.I guess I can expect the same from the COD MW with maeby 5FPS drop from the others.

So as I carefully read this replies and other peeps coments it does make sence to have a better GPU and then crank up the CPU.Now question is getting the right card and still dont bottleneck the CPU iven in overclock mode,and I'm willing to waith for the 5870X2,will this card bottle neck my CPU iven when overclocked.If it does then I have to look into either buying different 2core(maeby the X series duo core that they used to run for $1000 and more) I think I saw one on ebay for $300 X6800 or something.Has socket 775 and the front buss i think speed was lesser than 1333mhz,my mobo(ASUS P5N-E SLI) should be compatible with this processor since has the 775 socket and the supports front bus speed 1333mhz,and i can stick in the 5870X2 iven if i have to remove couple of hardware bays from the front.All of thsi could be avoided if i had the ASUS deluxe edition,that one would of been able to carry 2 GTX cards and I only have to set them in SLI and overclock the CPU,but too late for that when i bought the pc I didnt knew those stuff.

Now if i upgrade the pc to 5870X2 and if i have to get the duo 2 X6000 Extreme series to match up GPU,then most likely im going to need more power supply than just 550W,this option will put me close to $800 and thats out of option,no money for that.

Other option is getting the 5870 single processor,boosting up the CPU and hopefully I wont need more than 550W,you guys think that with this set up I'll need more than 550W PSU????

soli

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

JSC buddy yes they are cheaper and thanks for posting about them,but they dont come iven close regarding in reviews results as the zalman,Zalman has over 1500 reviews and still 5 eggs.They are only cheaper for 10-15 bucks I'm not that poor lol.Zalman 110mm fan would be my choice since i cant fit in the water cooling i want from thermaltake called big water,I only have mid size Tuniq case.

Get an E8500 and OC, it's 45nm, not 65nm like the e6000 series and should OC like no tomorrow. You will likely be able to hit 4.0ghz or over which will work nicely. I would consider something like the Q9550 for a quad and get at least 3.6ghz like I did as well...