What needs to be done after a build?

m-triple

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Hello once again everyone.

So now I have been using my newly built computer for a week now. Everything seems to be running okay. I haven't really changed anything in Vista and the BIOS is still untouched. You guys recommend anything I should do right now to make sure my computer is optimized to the best it can do? I am really worried right now there is a BIOS setting or a little hardware modification somewhere that is holding my computer back from its full power lol.

here are my full computer specs:
Q9450
HD4870
DDR2 PC1066 4gb 2x2 running in dual channel
GA-X48-DS4
Corsaird 750w
Vista Home Pro
HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288 jumper removed to enable 32mb

thanks for all inputs!!

Start with a few tiny apps:

RealTemp
CPU-Z
GPU-Z

DL those and run them.

Next you can get Prime95. Run this with RealTemp going.

Post screenshots of everything.

Then I'll tell you if your settings are OK :)

m-triple

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
hey thanks for the inputs,

here is the real temp pic:
9len8y.jpg

CPU-Z:
zupa3r.jpg

10zsluh.jpg

4tshvm.jpg

241t6om.jpg

24qn1mp.jpg

GPU-Z:
24s.png

ghr.png

i DLed prime95 im not too sure how to use it, so i cant post a screenshot of it with real temp until i figure it out lol

what do you think so far?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Your memory is far less than optimum. it is both nonsynchronous, which reduces bandwidth, and running excessively long latencies even for the memory speed. Set the divider to 1:1 so that the memory is at 333 Mhz, then set latency to the 400 Mhz SPD values of 5.5.5.15 at 1.8 volts, then try the 266 Mhz values of 4.4.4.10 at 1.9 volts, drop each latency down one at a time, check with memtest.

You gain greater performance with decreased latency, than with a faster memory clock. The advantages of fast memory is that you can overclock the system more, and that you CAN have reduced latency. Running memory faster because "it can go faster" gains no performance.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
i prefer orthos to prime 95....prime always auto starts at boot up and chews up cpu power ridiculously... always at 100% and slows my other apps/games up so i uninstalled it and use orthos and OCCT currently.

Just turn off the start up in the options :p

It's supposed to run at 100%... that's what it's for.

m-triple:

Prime 95 just runs a bunch of stuff that pushes your CPU to max. It's so you can see how far your temps go up and also can detect any instability.

Your temps aren't real great, but OK with stock cooling I guess.

It's quite nice that your memory is running at 1066, but not very useful because the FSB is at 333. Try Busted's suggestion... I doubt it will help a lot but you might get some speed increase.

m-triple

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
thanks for the help and suggestions guys. im going to adjust my memory right after this post.

oh yeah i didnt know my CPU temp was considered only okay, because im using the xigmatek rifle cooler lol!

Hmmm well, you may have used too much paste or something. I would expect mid 30's at idle. Of course, if the temp of the room is 30C then they are good temps.

Also, if you used AC5, it tends to get better over the first week or two.

m-triple

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
oohhh, yeah i must of used too much paste, i remember putting quit alot on, im also using AC5 so hopefully it will get better.

but i was able to adjust the memory, is this better?

2rmo2e0.jpg

Wanker79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Using too much thermal paste is almost just as bad as not using enough. I'd strongly suggest reading up on it's proper application.