Sign in with
Your question

Multiple Monitor Game Configuration

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2008 7:41:11 PM

Can't find a similar thread, so I'll flat out ask directly.

In a perfect world, I have 3 widescreen monitors in front of me, and am playing my favorite online game, which in this case is City of Heroes.

I need 3 monitors because I don't want my character split between two monitors, a configuration I currently have but is highly irritating because of that. (Is there a way to offset the char so they're near the middle, but fully on one or the other -- without doing windowed mode? Any games with this option? E.g. a checkbox in the game that says "center character 10% to the right of center in the overall field.)

In any case, the FPS is only so-so at best, and I have to turn down graphics to get even 20fps. (My machine is rather old, and has AGP, so this question really is part of a larger new computer purchase I'm considering.)

I've also seen some super-3D modern cards aren't so good with extra wide ratios like 2 or 3 screens. So who has done this and what's a good 3D card(s) configuration for it? What is your pixel ratio, and what is your FPS and what game? And what level quality of graphics options?

I'm just wondering if this concept is ready for prime time yet.

And a 2nd question, anybody have any 3D headsets? Do they exist beyond 10 year old legacy stuff? How is the quality, and what is the wraparound wide-screen immersion like, i.e. how far into the peripheral vision does it go, or is it just like two windows floating in front of your eyes, with no immersive peripheral stuff going on?
September 5, 2008 7:43:48 PM

E.g. "Oh yeah, with this quadcore and X card(s), you can do 4800 x 1200 at 50fps with CoH, WoW, etc. on good quality settings."

Or, "Forget it, it ain't ever gonna happen in your lifetime. Multiple monitors are for non-3D giant desktop stuff."
September 6, 2008 7:27:24 AM

Well I've never experienced triple monitors, I keep putting off buying a tripleheadtogo ($300 for a signal splitter is crazy!)

With all this talk of crossfire and maybe even sli (with whatever big bang 2 is) I was kind of hoping one of those setups would do the trick. (You can only do up to 3840x1024 with the triplehead the last i checked) So if anyone knows if these multicard setups can do that I would love to know.

But to be constructive, if you do the math, 3x1024x768 monitors would be 2,359,296 pixels. Comparatively, 1 1920x1200 display would be 2,304,000 pixels. These are very close so i would imagine the hundreds of benchmarks on the net for 1920x1200 would accurately depict the performance on a 3x1024x768 set up. And naturally, since many of the new games do not run well even at 1920x1200 (freakin crysis) any thing above 3 1024's would just go downhill (3x1920x1200=6,912,200 pixels...wow)

Of course performance doesn't scale linearly to resolution and I have no idea if this is true, but it just makes sense.
Related resources
September 6, 2008 7:33:42 AM

Also, Nvidia just announced stereo glasses coming out later this year.

They say they REQUIRE a new 120Hz monitor so that you get 60Hz to each eye. But I think that's nonsense because the 60Hz all monitors do now divided by 2 is still 30Hz. This is enough to see smooth motion. I mean I played through crysis at 20fps for crying out loud.

I hope they don't artificially require 120Hz to help companies sell the new monitors (and of course make money for themselves). Just as they artificially disabled multiple monitors while using SLI (as you can do it with the quadro's).
September 6, 2008 7:42:48 AM

haha I keep remembering stuff after I submit

If you wanna try out 3d for haha's and you happen to have those funky red and blue glasses laying around somewhere, check this out http://www.iz3d.com/t-dcdriver.aspx .

Its a driver for that company's polarized monitors, but it does the red/blue (anaglyph) thing too for most direct3d games for free.

Just be careful though, if games crash, disable 3d, try lowering the resolution in the game and try again. If it still doesn't work it probably won't no matter what. And if other programs don't work right, make sure you turn off the 3d.

Its really only tolerable for a while but its fun while it lasts.
September 8, 2008 5:41:58 PM

SlickShoes said:
Also, Nvidia just announced stereo glasses coming out later this year.

They say they REQUIRE a new 120Hz monitor so that you get 60Hz to each eye. But I think that's nonsense because the 60Hz all monitors do now divided by 2 is still 30Hz. This is enough to see smooth motion. I mean I played through crysis at 20fps for crying out loud.

I hope they don't artificially require 120Hz to help companies sell the new monitors (and of course make money for themselves). Just as they artificially disabled multiple monitors while using SLI (as you can do it with the quadro's).

Interesting. I know LCD monitors have come a long way in speeding up their refresh to avoid ghosting due to slow pixel color changes, but can they keep up with 120 fps? I.e. completely clear away the remnants of the old image in far less than 120th of a second?

So the future will, of course, be 3 (or 6!) of these monitors in a 2-high, 3-wide, partial wraparound configuration, with these glasses.

But back to the main question, so far I'm hearing a lot of guessword, but no actual experience doing this?
!