CPU cooler fan when overclocking

rbk88

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I have just overclocked my E8400 to 4.0ghz with an OCZ Vendetta cooler at 1.331 v. My load temps are upper 50C's so I feel that I can push this further.

My question is, right now I have set my mobo (gigabyte) to be 445 x 9 to get the 4.0ghz. Strangely, when I set the CPU frequency to 450 x 9, the cpu fan is always on high. I've checked the temperatures and on idle, it idle's exactly the same as when it is wayyy under 450 (at 41C and 38C). Does anybody know why the fan kicks up anytime I go above 445? Even when I boot into my computer, the cpu cooler fan is running on high and according the temperatures it is unnecessary. Is there a way to change this so I can go higher on my overclock? Thanks

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Check your motherboard BIOS to see if you have options to change you CPU fan profile (ie, fulll load or max, or quiet operation).

btw, not sure if you can go higher on your OC. Try 8 X 500 fsb, stil at 4 Ghz but the benchmarks are a little sweeter. l

rbk88

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
So I looked in my bios and there was an option of CPU SMART FAN CONTROL and it was set at auto (which means cpu fan speed is controlled by the bios). I simply changed this to ENABLED (fan speed is variable and adjusted by the cpu temperature). This seemed to increase the idle cpu fan speed slightly but seems to work fine. I now am testing at 460 x 9 = 4.14 at a Vcore of 1.35625v and load temps are hovering around 54C with idle temps around 40 C. In CPUZ, it shows the core voltage to be 1.296. So if this gives no errors on stress test, does everything else look good? I'm assuming i'm well under the intel vcore max (1.45v?) and I can probably push this higher but I think 4.14ghz is pretty good. Please let me know if anyone seems a potential issue. Thanks

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Uhhh.... I advise you to your own research on what is max safe voltage. Before you proceed further, find outof your CPU has the 3 year Intel warranty, did you buy it retail and you have the original box, CPU fan, and receipt? I ask because you have a safety net (somewhat) should you fry your CPU at least to a point where there no obvious scorch marks that would possibly void your warranty.

1.45 vcore, in my opinion only, is not a safe setting, at least not more for more than a few minutes. Besides, other than artificial benchmarks, there's very little gain between 3.6 and 4 Ghz.

rbk88

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Yes I bought the retail with all the goodies and it's been a while (6months?). I only recently increased from 3.6 to 4.14ghz because I just received an aftermarket cooler for 5 bucks and thought I should make that 5 bucks worth it so I went up from 3.6ghz. I'm currently under 1.36 volts and don't plan on going further so I don't think I'll come close to 1.45 so i'm guessing I'm good. I'm still under intels recommended 1.375 as well....hopefully it's ok and stable

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yes you will be fine.
Going much higher will need exponentially more voltage (so I found), so I'd keep it where it is, 4.14Ghz is good.

If you got to 4.25 or 4.3 you wont notice the difference, so not worth the risks unless you're having fun with it. The most dangerous voltage with these chips is actually VTT or Line termination, it actually has destroyed chips when set above 1.4V.

Definately feel free to do your own research. I did my own.

You certainly wont get burn marks at 1.45V, that's a bit over the top, people run these chips as high as 1.8, it's just I don't recommend more than 1.45 daily. I ran mine at over 1.5 for 2 months, no signs of degradation whatsoever. Running higher than the standard voltage DOES accelerate degradation though, but if you're overclocking, it's expected you accept the risks of having a shorter CPU lifespan. If degradation does start to happen, you'll still be able to lower your overclock and reduce voltage and keep using your PC, but it's ability to overclock will reduce over time.

So when I say "safe" I really meant "overclocker safe", as overclocking always comes with risks and consequences. Usually we replace the processor before it wears out.

There are actually three different voltage/thermal limits. There's Intel's recommended maximum and there's Intels absolute maximum. And then there is the "Run that puppy 'till it melts".

I am sticking to "recommended" limits for my Q9550 and Q6600. I'm a little more aggressive with my E5200.