Replacement motherboard

rthariani

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Hi all,

My motherboard seems to have gone bye bye today. What motherboard do I need for my
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775
processor? Any recommendations? I would like to have on board ethernet and as many USB slots as possible!

thank and help much appreciated!
R

Before assuming it's the motherboard, take a few minutes to run a bare post out of the case. Try just one memory stick in each slot; try a different power supply if you have a spare. As for recommending a new board, if you live in the usa, check newegg for specials going on right now. Get on their email list. They should have at least one good Intel board on sale this friday. If you don't live in the usa, use newegg to get your motherboard information. They have the best pictures and direct links to each manufacturer. Many p45 boards will work well for you. I always recommend you download the board manual before ordering and see how well it's written. Check the memory section and see if your memory has been tested by the manufacturer to work with the board, or go to the website and check for memory support on the same page as the board you choose.

rthariani

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Thank for the advice. I got back yesterday and found that the screen was dark, graphics card was spinning like crazy and the system was hung at what seemed to be the pre-POST stage. Rebooting and resetting didn't cause any change.

Do you guys think it might be the power supply? Doors on the optical drives seem to open fine, so my initial assumption was it wasn't the power supply. Removing the graphics didn't seem to make any change either....

THanks for the advice!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Just posted this in another thread, you can probably forgo 1 and 2

1.Check all power is connected... IE , CPU 4 or 8 pin connector in the mainboard and PCI-e GPU power connected.

2.Clear CMOS

3. Reseat RAM and GPU.

4. Disconnect everything from mainboard other than 1 stick of RAM, CPU and GPU

5. If still no work try another PSU

6. Still no work try step 4 outside of case.

7. RMA mobo or replace.