Asus A8n-SLi Deluxe

grymmstone

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Well I came home from work today to a computer that is hanging on the Asus A8N-SLi boot screen (has the press <delete> to enter setup at the bottom left of the screen.)

My wife tried booting up today and this is where the computer stopped.

I have pulled the battery for 1 minute and reinstalled. No avail.

This system will not post or spin hard drives, but all fans and DVD drives are powered.

Suggestions?

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
"ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe is not compatible with Windows XP SP3."

That really sounds like a joke. Though dung!
But thanks for pointing that one out. I have that MB in my old PC, and would surely have installed SP3 on that machine...

grymmstone

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008

I have not patched SP3. Machine has been running stable since build in July of '06.

grymmstone

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Thanx Badge,

I have removed the battery, repositioned jumpers as per the manual. Upon restart I have held down the delete key which enter BIOS mode. Now the system is hanging at the Asus display screen with the "entering set-up mode" text displayed. Will not bring up the BIOS screen.

Well, a few things. I would check all the connectors to the MB, including the HD and Optical drive. Make sure nothing like a fan or a SATA cable is loose. Also, you may try using 1 DIMM of RAM is slot 1 only. Beyond that, any number of things could be causing the problem. If you believe it's hardware related you might consider doing the following:

Unplug everything except the CPU/HSF, 1 DIMM RAM in slot 1, and video card. If the system does not boot to BIOS 'benched' in this manner, it is one of five possible things causing your problem. RAM, CPU, video card, MB or PSU.

Then you would need spare parts to troubeshoot any further. I would try 1 DIMM RAM, try the other or some other RAM if that doesn't get you to BIOS. And I would check all the cables, fans, connectors to the MB. Eventually I would unplug EVERYTHING as I described above and attempt to bench POST to BIOS.

grymmstone

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
KK... Will try the above and post back with results in a few hours. I am currently at work and will refrain from asking my wife to do anything beyond the CMOS reset. Although she would probably enjoy the challenge.

frankdafixer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
The other day I rebooted my system and it would not boot up all the way. The last message it was hung at was the ACPI check. When I am troubleshooting I remove all unnecessary devices. When I removed my USB Sansa mp3 player, the system booted normally.
http://www.everythingtech.net/2008/12/asus-an8-sli-deluxe-not-booting/