Sign in with
Your question

Help my Family ( flashdrive)

Last response: in Storage
January 8, 2010 9:33:17 PM

Wondering if I can get some help,So I just ordered my new desktop
and trying to get mt music and photos off my old desktop (windows XP)
It has been giving me many issues.well I stick my usb flash drive into
the computer.
I get a beep that it recognizes the usb flash drive but thats it no icon or
anything.I tried all my usb slots and same thing I have tried diffrent flash
drives as well.Also went to start - My computer- and nothing is their either
please help I need my family pics or wife is going to kick my @ss
!!!!!!Oh yeah my computer expertice is very low so bare with me.

More about : family flashdrive

a b G Storage
January 8, 2010 9:42:04 PM

Sounds like the USB controllers on the old computer. Try reinstalling them. If that doesn't work, you could remove the old HD and install it as a secondary drive on the new computer, or copy your music and photos to a DVD.
m
l
January 8, 2010 9:44:37 PM

how many songs you think I can rip from itunes to a dvd?
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2010 9:49:15 PM

RnMsonic said:
how many songs you think I can rip from itunes to a dvd?

you can burn 4.7GB's worth of information onto a common DVD. I would say to you, go to the computer store and tell them you want to put togeather an external Harddrive.
tell them you want at least 500gigs sata harddrive and you want to get an external Case to put it in that has USB and eSata capability. plug it in, and back up your intire My Documents to it by drag and drop.
m
l
January 8, 2010 10:10:27 PM

First of all, make sure your old computer is updated to at least Service Pack 1 or 2. Some USB drives needed a driver with the very original version of XP.

Then next, plug your USB drive into the new computer to make sure it works.

Then try different ports on the old computer.

if that still doesn't work, you may have to pull the old drive out of the old computer and install it in the new one as a slave because if the USB stick isn't being recognized and it's known to be working, then i don't think an external USB hard drive is going to be recognized either.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 8, 2010 10:17:52 PM

If you have all of the songs saved to one folder, just right click and then left click on "Properties" to see how large it is. I agree with Blig that an external HD won't help if the USB ports aren't working.
m
l
January 8, 2010 10:56:45 PM

But they reconize my camera and ipod?However those have been installed for a few years as far as programs go.its like 1200 songs
m
l
a b G Storage
January 8, 2010 11:12:11 PM

I would pull it and slave it to the new HD.
m
l
!