Dont want office that cam with pc

lfoster

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Hi
I am/was running an old version of Microsoft Publisher and Works -
my new laptop has Office on it ... I dont want to use any of that - I want my old stuff - but when I try to open some things it only opens in the new Office and since I have not entered the product key it will not let me edit or do anything with any of my docs. and I cant open them in anything else...
I have noticed that when I try to open something it says it is converting the file (to the new office and I dont want it to,,,
please help!
Thanks

There are a few ways to get better software
Look for a used copy of microsoft office professional 2000 on amazon, this will load and is very handy.
Look at microsoft software for students, from digital river, you can buy office professional for $70. But you need a college e mail address.

lfoster

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Hey
Thanks for the help but I am so PC stupid when it comes to stuff like this...
why did this happen? Is it because my trial version ended and now it (Office 2007) has taken over?
I need a simple way to get these files opened - well I can open them in Office 2007 but not able to do anything (print, edit etc)
Thanks
laura

If office actually 'converted' them, then they'll need to be converted back, if you want to use publisher.

If you removed publisher, and tried to open the files, then the computer would look for the appropriate program to open the files. If that was office, then that's why they were changed.

If you can open them, and actually view the text correctly, the quickest way to retrieve the contents, would be to copy and paste it into a new document. If you're seeing garbled symbols, then the document will need to be converted back, or opened with publisher.
Hope that helps.