GA-EP35c-Dsr3 PROBLEM!!!

BenSheriff

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Ok i have a GA-EP35c-Dsr3, And i have just bought 8gb of kingston 1066 Ram As i notice on the mobo box it can handle that and even overclock to higher speeds etc.
Now i havnt overclocked my processor which is a E4600 Dualcore.
Now atm when i turn my pc on it stats this is cpu that my rams SPD = kingston pc2-6400 (400MHZ) When its not its 4 sticks of kingston pc2-8500 ram so how i fix anyone?

Also my cpu is running 1.32500V 200 (fsb) and mutiplier X12, now i notice if i click my fsb to 250 making it 3.00GHz on , the ram bios rea shows the ram @ 1000 nd with a sector called memory mutiplier and shows (800 or 1066 strapping) which i have no clue is and how i overclock the memory for a more performing pC. I have atm only got the cpu with stock hsf tho i read up that my cpu is easy to overclock i just need tooverclock the fsb from 200 to 250 and the reveiw stats is ok on auto voltages settings and the cpu standard hsf actuly keeps it stable. this will then get the ram to 1000 but its still not running @ its speed and when i purchased in the first place it was because the memory was old and updated for faster ram and the box said 1066 ,(1200 O.C). so i was expecting good spedds whatim i doing wroung?, as i cant even figure this useless easytune program out that seems to only run when it wants /remove, ok nvm that program how to fix anyone else no how or having same problems?

slickjr169

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
With regards to the memory (because I deal with this on a daily basis) the JDEC speed of the 8500 Kingston is actually PC6400 5-5-5-15. The Gigabyte board you have posts at the base JDEC speed of what ever ram you put into it; in this case PC6400 at 5-5-5-15. To get its rated speed you have to increase the memory multiplier to 2.5(I think) to get 1066 that speed of memory.

With all other questions read this faq since it was specifically developed for its little brother board the P35-DSRL which has the same exact bios as yours.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245679-29-ds3l-overclocking

bilbat

Splendid
OK, let's keep it simple and start at the beginning.

The main controlling number in your system is the 'CPU Host Frequency', which for your processor has a stock setting of 200 Mhz. Four times that (800) is your FSB, Front System Bus speed. Twelve times that (the CPU multiplier) is 2,400 Mhz, or 2.4 Ghz, the rated speed of your processor.

All DDR2 RAM is basically 800 (pc2-6400); faster RAM is simply tested at higher speeds, and sorted out by capability. The RAM has, stored right on it, a table of settings (SPD) that will allow any system to boot it at 800; some faster chips may contain another table (EPP) that may allow it to boot faster, but they usually have to be set to their faster, rated speed by adjusting things in the MOBO BIOS. The memory runs at two times the 'CPU Host Frequency' (in your case, 200) times the memory multiplier (which, in your case, to allow standard RAM timing, is 2:1); so, 2 x 2 x 200 = 800, your RAM speed. If, at the 'CPU Host Frequency' of 200, you want to set your RAM at 1066, your memory multiplier must be set at 2.66 because 2 x 2.66 x 200 = 1064 (the multiplier is actually 2.6666666...., so ignore the fact that the math is off by two).

Now, if you want to overclock your CPU (and I cannot verify for you what it will tolerate with the stock Intel cooler) by raising your 'CPU Host Frequency' to 250, your FSB will be 1000, instead of 800, and your CPU speed will be 12 x 250 = 3000, or 3Ghz. To get 1066 at that 'CPU Host Frequency', you would need a memory multiplier of 1066 / 2 = 533 / 250, or 2.132 - but THERE IS NO 2.132 multiplier, so at that 'CPU Host Frequency', you are stuck with 2, which will give you 2 x 2 x 250 = 1000 RAM speed. If you think you've GOT TO get 1066, you could increase your 'CPU Host Frequency' to 266, which will give you 2 x 2 x 266 = 1064 again, but then your CPU will be running at 266 x 12, or 3.2 Ghz, which will push it even hotter. You could also lower your CPU multiplier to 11, which at 266 'CPU Host Frequency' will give you 266 x 11 = 2926 CPU speed - very close to 3Ghz. Also, getting four sticks of RAM to run at these kinds of speeds will require other changes to your BIOS settings - try it first with a stick or two, until you understand what's happening, and then we'll talk about more setting changes...

BenSheriff

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
This is the ram i have got now if anyof yous have a gigabyte board and no the bios (unlike me) , ofc i no how to get to it though unfortunly things have changed and the bios is no much more filled of random settings. and all i want to know it what settings must i change to get this ram working @ 1066 and not at the current 800mhz setting.
HyperX DDR2 modules are specifically engineered and designed to meet the rigorous requirements of PC enthusiasts. HyperX DDR2 offers faster speeds, lower latencies, higher data bandwidths and lower power consumption than DDR. HyperX is available in single and dual-channel memory kits.

Kingston's KHX8500AD2K2/4G is a kit of two 2GB (2048MB) DDR2-1066 CL6 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory modules, based on sixteen 64M x 8-bit DDR2 FBGA components per module. Total kit capacity is 4GB (4096MB). Each module pair has been tested to run at DDR2- 1066MHz at a latency timing of 6-6-6-18 at 2.1V. The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency 800Mhz timing of 6-6-6-18 at 2.0V. Each 240-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +2.0V. The electrical and mechanical specifications are as follows:

- PC8500 1066MHz CAS 6-6-6-18 (SPD @ 7-7-7-20)
- 64x8 DDR2 BGA Chips
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- Aluminum Heat-spreader
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB
- Lifetime Warranty
- 2.0V-2.1V Power Supply

BenSheriff

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Ram settings shows the ram @ 800mhz but at 6-6-6-18

I loaded pc and checked cpuz it says kinston pc2-6400(400mhz)
then two timings in the timings sector and shows it @ 1.8V. how i fix this , for gods sake why cant i just sitdown and play a game, ive had this bloody crap all week buying pc parts and problems all i want it to play counterstrike online -.-. Im a older guy btw (34). Yet i cant figure out this pc stuff , can someone help whos got a Gigabyte board and just tell me what section in the mb intelligent myARSE section in the bios of what setting to use. as for the cpu overclocking information on the top my processor only hits 3.5GHZ maxedout as reveiws have shows, now atm i got stock hsf, tho xmas ill have something else, but in the reviews i can safely overclock to 3.0 GHz raseing my cpu freq from the standard 200 to 250 this leaves me ram @ 1000, but i realy wanted 1066 or that even overclocked -.- to 1200 hopefully. i checked the bios and found memory mutiplier sector showing information on the side called +800 strapping ~1066 strapping #1333strapping, tho the numbers in the list are as following - 3.33,4.0+,2.00,2.40,3.20,2.50,3.00,4.0~ (the ant a # one proberly unlocks when ddr3 is enabled but wehen i select the 4~ to strap 1066 and ofc i dont no what that means all i now is it says 1066 and i got a kingston lifetime warranty . so i tried yet cpuz shows ram @ 400MHZ still.) I mentioned the above mutiplier numbers to bill in the reply list as he stated to slect 2.66 or something for the ram to work yet there ant a 2.66 in the list so now what?

bilbat

Splendid
To quote Dogbert's Tech Support:

"I think I've found your problem - you need to add a few points to your IQ..."

This is as simple as I can make it:

Take out half the RAM

Set-

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster ...............:Auto
CPU Clock Ratio ..........................:11
Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0

Clock Chip Control
Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 266 Mhz
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00#
Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............:
DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time........................7
tRCD .........................................7
tRP'...........................................7
tRAS..........................................20

Static tRead Value.........................:10
tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto<<< Leave for all below as well
tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
Static tRead Value.........................:10
tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Try it

If it works, replace other half of RAM; if not, re-post

If ALL RAM works, you're good; if not, re-post

"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time, and irritates the pig" - Robert Heinlein