Upgrade advice needed

Mad_Viking

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Im looking at upgrading my computer, I got about £300 to do it.

What I have been looking at are:

Motherboard: ABIT AX78 or Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (I can find both cons and pros on both cards so don't know what to pick)

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 2 MB (AMD Processor in a Box (PIB)) (Cooler (fansink)) or Phenom X3 8450 2 MB (AMD Processor in a Box (PIB)) (Cooler (fansink))
Is it worth going for the Phenom X3 (there are only about £10 differents in price on the two)?

I'm was thinking of going for ASUS EAH4850/HTDI (512 MB) and Kingston HyperX 2 x 1 GB (PC2-8500CL5), as I don't have money to buy the Corsair XMS2 Dominator 2 x 2 GB (PC2-8500CL5).

My PSU is a NorthQ NQ4001AL.

I like both MBs as I can allways upgrade to a Phenom X4 and 4GB ram.

I play mostly DDO and RPG (Gothic 3, Witcher, ect.) but all at 1920*1200 on a 24" wide.

Is this a okay computer or is there something where I would get more power out of the same amount of ££?
Should I wait for the AM3 and DDR3? Dont really think I will have the money once it comes.

Any advice are welcome. :)

Mad_Viking

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I got a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe with AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and 1 gb ram.
And a X1950 pro.

The NorthQ was one I got in trade for some old part I had. So it will run till it cant anymore. (Cant get into the link, so cant see why its a "no go" :) )

I can just feel that my games are not running smooth and got big problems when settings are on high.

Well, I can see why current games wouldn't run too well on that system.
The link was to a 6-tier listing of PSUs by brand and/or model; 1,T,2,3,4,5. Tier-5 is considered "Do not buy." Apparently, many people experienced significant problems with the ones listed on Tier-5 (like the NorthQ). At best, they were only really capable of putting out a fraction (50%-75%) of their label before frying. At worst, they also were ALSO very poorly regulated, such that they passed (or created themselves) an incredible and potentially damaging amount of electrical noise, did not adhere to the ATX specifications for voltage (e.g. put out 4.2V on a 5V rail, or 13.3V on a 12V rail, etc), were missing basic protection like overvoltage or overcurrent limits, or otherwise were generally unsuitable to trust to reliably power a computer. I wouldn't be surprised if almost every forum regular has at least one story of a Tier-5 PSU working reliably for months or years (in my case it was an Aspire unit), but we've also got many more of cheap PSUs that died violently, and didn't die alone. For my part, I prefer to be on Tier-2 or better. I've had good experiences with Tier-3 FSP units, but I've discovered I can always find a deal somewhere on something from Tier-2, so why buy lower quality?
I'm not familiar with UK shopping sites, but I'm sure someone here will soon post some great component ideas that should be accessible to you. I'm guessing that 300 British pounds will convert into about $560, which should provide plenty of room for solid upgrades.

Mad_Viking

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Thank you jtt283, Ill see if I can get into the link and find myself a new PSU.

I was putting it in £ as this is a co.uk site. What I really got is 3000 DKr, thats about $540 (or £300).. So im just after some advice and ill find the prices in Denmark. :)

What do you think about the items I have found?