My way to unistall Catalyst 8.6-8.8

texasreefer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I have been istalling and unistalling different versions of catalyst, in THE VISTA Operating System, the last couple weeks and noticed that the newer drivers (basically 8.5 and prior) you have to unistall the video driver manually. I have always used the 'ccleaner' freeware to unistall these drivers as the windows control panel did not always remove all files.

Now that I have an X2 the drivers have changed a little, and especially with regards to the install manager. All the drivers 8.52, 8.52.6, 8.54 all behave different and have different features and potential. The only way to be able to decide which is best to you, you have to be abel to perform a clean unistall.

I have read about going into safe mode and using driveclean, but was a little unfamiliar with the process so I have figured my own way to perform a clean unistall of catalyst (if anyone is isterested).

As always I use CCleaner which is easy to find, just google it. Just so no one complains http://www.ccleaner.com/download

First....Unistall Catalyst from the Control Panel, upon finishing you will be asked to reboot....reboot.

Second... upon reboot use the CCleaner unistall utility (which works just like the Control Panel) but you will notice a file called 'Catalyst Control Install Proxy' ...remove it.

After you remove it you will not be asked to reboot... so don't .

The Next step... you go to the 'My Computer' or 'Computer' RIGHT CLICK and go to properties.
You want to go the the device manager and manally unistall the drivers for for the video card (standard VGA driver) and the HDMI Audio Driver...Now reboot.

THis time when you reboot..the drivers will be completely removed and Vista will finally ask for video drivers.

Don't use the Vista install manage...use the catalyst install manager!

A successful install of catalyst should bring your resolution back to 800 x 600. After you install catalyst if the resolution has not been reset, chances are the driver was install but not successfully.

Good Luck and please post if any problems occur! As ATi Fans we have to be our own TECH support.

texasreefer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I have an update to this procedure:

Do not reboot immediately after catalyst unistalls, before you reboot, unistall the file - Catalyst Install Proxy - first...then reboot.

Now, unistall the driver manually, go the the properties menu in the My Computer icon and go to the device manager.
Right click and unistall the Standard VGA driver.

Do not reboot

Install the catalyst suite...

The Windows install manager will start to run in the taskbar/time-date area.

The windows install manager will que to reboot but don't, allow Catalyst to finish installation and then reboot.