Sign in with
Your question

OC P5Q Pro w/ 8400 questions

Last response: in Motherboards
November 26, 2008 12:14:55 AM

Just installed my new mobo and cpu today, started right up with no problems, dvd & hd recognized, can't complain at all...

Now I want to do a bit of oc'ing and the asus bios looks a bit funny to me, I come here to search a bit and see some comments about bios flashes and what not and now I'm even more confused.

I guess first do I need to flash my bios? Can I with this chip? My old chip was a P4 clunker...

second, how do you translate this bios, I've read through a few oc guides but the asus bios is worded different I guess... Can someone direct me with this or give me an example of their settings so I now how to start tuning mine. I'm only after 3.0-.5 range, nothing too crazy, running 4 gig ram and a pretty mean cooling system.

More about : p5q pro 8400 questions

a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2008 10:37:21 PM

If your cpu is recogenized properly and everything works fine than you dont need to worry about updating bios. Here youve got pictures with most important OC features on P5Qpro explained http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/150652-asus-p5q-...

If you only want to OC a little bit than leave Vcore alone and only change fsb by small increments like 10mhz and try booting and loading windows. When you reach the point where windows wont load than change fsb back to last setting that worked or increase Vcore a little bit. I believe your cpu runs at 333mhz x 9 = 3ghz so first step would be lets say fsb 350 and after that increase by 10mhz. Notice that as you change fsb speed the ram speed changes as well so try to keep that as close to 800 as possible. And read through other posts, theres plenty of info available :)  Good luck
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2008 10:45:10 PM

If your cpu is recogenized properly and everything works fine than you dont need to worry about updating bios. Here youve got pictures with most important OC features on P5Qpro explained http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hard [...] ios-p.html

If you only want to OC a little bit than leave Vcore alone and only change fsb by small increments like 10mhz and try booting and loading windows. When you reach the point where windows wont load than change fsb back to last setting that worked or increase Vcore a little bit. I believe your cpu runs at 333mhz x 9 = 3ghz so first step would be lets say fsb 350 and after that increase by 10mhz. Notice that as you change fsb speed the ram speed changes as well so try to keep that as close to 800 as possible. And read through other posts, theres plenty of info available :)  Good luck
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2008 10:48:14 PM

LOL, seems that I cant edit the post properly :D  Just copy the the link from my second post
!