toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I just RMA'd my second Intel D5400XS Board! I have not even completed a drive format on my system yet! I have $3,000 wrapped up in my sweet SkullTrail rig and my first board wouldn't POST but the RMA'd board fired right up. I started to format my WD Velociraptor 150 and the machine shut down with 97% already finished. I restarted it and a capacitor blew and managed to set off a smoke alarm. I RMA'd the board again and checked the PSU (just to make sure) and the PSU worked fine.

Please tell me Intel is not selling junk......

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
....and youre buying the junk.

Skulltrail is a waste of time and money. Do yourself a favor, get refunds for the board and the two processors.

slickjr169

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Put that money into a nice i core 7 system.

EDIT: Wow that sucks, cross your fingers on board number 3. Also what Video Card and power supply. I know for a fact you need a power supply with dual EPS connections; make sure your not using an 8 pin PCI-E connector.

takealready

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
"Yes it's fast & No it's not for games."
Then why have an Overkill system like that if it's not for games? :heink:

Anyway, what do you think is the reason for the failure?

I've noticed that even the AMD quadfather (aka 4 X 4) has trouble lasting more than a year. I've been flirting with that board (for 7 months now. So that way I can have an 8 Core system), but everyone in the Asus forum seems to be having the same power issues, board frying components and hell that you're having.

I think Dual socket boards are cursed. Who ever buys them seems to have nothing but headaches.

Good luck with getting it to work.

i dont understand why would some 1 buy skulltrail.........

sucks to be you buddy.

you would get a nice q9550 cpu and x48 with dual cards and you would be set :]

with technology advancing so quickly its not worth dumping so much money on a cpu since in a year single chip will be faster when ur two prices qx9770's :non:

:hello: :hello:

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
dual and quad socket systems aren't bad. the problem is the companies that are trying to produce the dual and quad socket server motherboards for the mainstream, which really can't and shouldn't be done.

Intel always sells junk whey they can. They using to call it a Celeron :D. As for the motherboard I never did like boards directly from Intel. Anyway the reason Skullrail is slower for games is due to the memory. On the other hand it's great if you're going 3d modeling and the like. Really though I think the i7s are making skull rail obsolete in that area too.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I am using a Power & Cooling 1000W PSU with dual 8 pin PSU connectors like it requires. I have an 8800GTS GPU but the machine is used for Electronic Document Discovery so I am not using it for games. The program I use codes the documents and depending on my customers requirements I can have 6 or 7 applications running at once. I am starting to think I should have stuck with my S5000PAL Server Board which has been bullet-proof.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

Good luck with that. Be sure to let me know when Paypal refuses to release your money.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I think you guys misunderstood, the used board from eBay is still under warranty and was a working pull. I'll put the used board in my system while I wait for the replacement board from intell. If the used board works fine I can then either keep the new RMA'd board from intell as a back up or sell it as new on ebay.

I am not trying to screw anyone, including intel. I paid full retail for a board and it was bad, intel sent me a new replacement and it was also bad. I bought a back up board off of eBay to cover my ass; this system is for work and I can't afford this much downtime.

If your Intel replacement continues to give you problems, there is another alternative. Newegg has a tyan s2912g2nr dual cpu amd opteron 1207 motherboard for $59.99. At this price, you could buy 2 or 3 for backup. The barcelona 2346 quad core cpus go for $99.99 at a vender called sanmicro. They only use 55 watts, so they're energy efficient. Only negative is you would have to backup your files and flash the board bios to use the quad cores. Tyan has instructions for the flashing; they recommend biosman. But I hope your new Intel board works better, so you won't have to consider this option.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

I hope so too, I have been very happy with intel's support thus far but getting two bad boards is really strange.