Some questions about ram

magma_saber

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
For the cas latency, the best one is 9 right? For the timings, does lower numbers equals faster? And the is a higher voltage better?

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
OK, CL4 is faster than CL5 in DDR2 memory, so yes, the lower the timings the faster. Yes, you may have to raise the voltage on the ram to get it to run at lower timings. A lot depends on the ram and the manufacture. Check the spec's on the memory or the manufactures web site.

rammar16

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
on timings the lower the better, the same is with voltages although high volts or low volts won't effect speed. just the extra room allows for more overclocking because as you raise the volts you can oc more.

hope this helps

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

No, the best CAS Latency is 1.5 CAS 2 is good too though

Indeed, the lower the timings the better. The lower the voltage the better too. Voltage past 1.8 is basically used to overclock DDR2 Ram, and if you're looking at DDR3 ram using higher voltage with the new i7s can fry it :D.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That's a fairly good choice. If you're looking to use it with Core i7, the recommended 1.65v is at the safety limit for its memory controller.

The first thing you showed had better timings, but its recommended voltage was too high for Core i7