Sign in with
Your question

Need help ASAP, USB Flashdrive dead!! *sob*

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2010 4:44:08 AM

I have a 16GB USB, the brand is Silicon Power, i use it all the time and it has tons of important files on there, it was working fine yesterday and today it doesn't work anymore, when i plug it into my PC it doesn't get detected, no message show up whatsoever, nothing.

I tried this on multiple PCs and none of them show up so i don't even know what's wrong with it, it can't be corrupted either since i didn't use it for anything other than copying a few files yesterday.

I've had it for a year or more now, and it never had any problems......

I never dropped it or anything either, and it's very durable, so i dunno wot's wrong. I tried this on at least 4 PCs......
a c 415 G Storage
January 9, 2010 5:01:06 AM

This is why you ALWAYS make backups of files that are important to you!

You can try putting it in the freezer overnight and then quickly plugging it in and seeing if you can get anything off it before it warms up. This is sometimes recommended for hard drives, but I can't see how it would hurt to try it with a flash drive in case there's a microfracture in some circuit trace somewhere.
m
l
January 9, 2010 5:24:26 AM

Ya i do make backups of my files, on my external hardrive. But the external HDD i have is a budget piece of crap (Seagate) and it often loses files coz it gets corrupted or w/e and i have to use chkdsk /r to fix the sectors, and if i'm lucky i'll recover those files, if not, i have to format it.

I plan to get a new external hdd soon, but i never expected this to happen to my flashdrive, it's a good quality one as well.......sigh
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2010 6:01:38 AM

btw did you say put in the freezer overnight?? Don't you have to wait till it defreezes a little before you can plug it in?? Or will it be okay if i just leave it in there for a few hrs, coz i'm sure ice will form on the tip of the USB if you leave it overnight?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
January 9, 2010 5:12:33 PM

No, the idea is to remove it from the freezer and immediately plug it into the machine to try to pull something off while it's still cold.
m
l
January 10, 2010 3:37:45 AM

sigh i guess i'm out of options, i tried that this morning after leaving it in the freezer overnight like you told me, and it still doesn't get detected.....

So since i couldn't fix it, i thought i should open up the inside and see whether there's anything loose or w/e, and oddly enough, there seems to be 2 chips that combine together and you can separate them, i'll take a picture and upload it later but is it possible that if i buy the same USB, and open up the inside and swap the chips with this broken one, that i might be able to fix it?? It's kinda hard to describe, so i'll post pics later.

EDIT (added pics):

As you can see, the first image below shows the 2 chips are attached together:

This is front side:

And this is the 2 chips separated.

so ya, maybe it's wishful thinking but i'm planning on buying 2 more of the same USB since i use up 16GB easily, and i plan on taking apart the new USB when i get it, just like i have done to this one, and try to put the chip onto the new one coz i think maybe all the data information is on the chip that i separated, the base is for reading it and the top is where all the information is........anyway could this be possible??
m
l
January 10, 2010 5:15:59 AM

pics added, would appreciate if someone can give me some more ideas.......
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
January 10, 2010 5:43:55 AM

The two large chips (one on each piece) are the flash memory. I don't think it's going to do you any good to try to use the one of the old chips in a new USB device - the block layout isn't just "1st half in 1 chip and 2nd half in the other", and if you mix the old and the new chips I'm pretty sure the result would be gobbledygook.
m
l
January 10, 2010 5:49:05 AM

ya i thought so too :p 

oh well, guess i have to be careful about backing up my files next time.
m
l
!