24" or 28" For Gaming

alex_oneill2006

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Hey hey, :hello:

i want to make a new purchase, either 24" or 28"

A little problem....

They both run at 1920x1200

The 28" has a low contrast ratio of 800:1 much lower than the 24" but has 3ms response time

The 28" is slightly cheaper, but the 24" has better specs

Which would be ebtter for gaming ?

And

Whats the difference between 1920x1200 on a 24" to a 28"

Regards,

Alex

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Well, as you pointed out, they have the same resolution....so it is pretty much strictly a matter of preference. Is the extra size worth losing the specs. As we all know, the most important think for a gaming monitor is refresh rate. I had a viewsonic gaming monitor...a vx924 with a 2ms response time. It was good for gaming, but then I got a larger Acer 22" monitor with a 5ms response time. I am a heavy gamer, counterstrike, crysis, etc. etc. and I can honestly say that the difference between a 2 and a 5ms response time isn't noticable. Furthermore, the extra contrast ratio on the acer made the picture look more vibrant and detailed to me, instead of washed out.
So here is my summary:
Any refresh rate under 5ms should be good.
Highest contrast ratio possible effects the quality of the whole image.
Resolution is the same so it is up to you, I would go with the 24" with better specs, because quality is more important than size (to me).

pauldh

Illustrious
What are the exact models you are looking at?

In general, it's probably user preference whether a larger screen or small pixel pitch is more important. Up close on a desk, I would prefer the 24".

I did have the 28" Hanns G on my list but decided against it for lack of inputs and the fact I'd rarely use it further than arms reach anyway. Looked at the Dell 2408WFP and Gateway FHD2400 too, but ended up grabbing the BenQ G2400WD for $360ish shipped. No complaints at all...and I'd highly recommend it for gaming. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014173

covertxt5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
I would go with the 28".

I currently have a 24" monitor and I'm looking at getting either a 26 or 28. in the near future when the price hits the right spot.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
it all depends on how you see things. i always choose quality of quantity, but some people prefer it the other way around. if you really need to have such a large screen, then get it. but if you care more about image quality, get the 24".

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
well usually the the faster the response time the better when it comes to gaming. especially in fast moving scenes. less ghosting and distortion.

this is my experience with this:

my 19" monitor has a 2ms response time, then i tried to replace it with a 32" HDTV i had lying around doing nothing. thing is, the HDTV had a slow response time of 12ms.

i decided to go back to my 19" monitor. why? when gaming, the HDTV was actually displaying frames very slowly. ummm how do i explain this....it was like seeing the game run at 12FPS when the graphics were actually running at 80-100FPS, weird.

obviously, i never had this had this problem with my 19". i had to put on vertical sync to get the 32" to work properly but that was sevierly limiting my system and even then, there was a lot of ghosting.

well thats my experience. here's something a found on Google that may help: http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-3118_7-6358806-1.html

sailer

Splendid
I would take the 24" monitor over a 28". The 24" would take less power from the graphics cards to run decent FPS, would take up less space on the desk, and of course, the better response time is easier on the eyes when gaming. But that's my opinion. You have to make up your own mind as to what's most important.

alex_oneill2006

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Thanks for the response guys, it reall has helped in my decision.

When i got out the tape measure and pulled out 28" that was HUGE, i mean HUGE. Right now the 19" looks big in my room and 28" would be ridiculous!

So i guess 24" is the best bet!

@Pauldh
Thanks for the link to the screen, it looks like its very good quality, and the prices are good in the uk :)

Right now i have 2000:1 contrast ratio and going down to 800:1 would really suck :)

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it :)

pauldh

Illustrious
Just keep in mind, the best panels as far as color accuracy, will not be the best gaming panels. For instance, the Dell I mentioned is an S-PVA panel and has excellent color accuracy. But these panels suffer from input lag that competitive gamers would not desire. The TN panels have worse color accuracy, but don't suffer from input lag making them nice for gaming. They are also less expensive. See this review for more info: http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=12

alex_oneill2006

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Im not really in for the colour accuracy! Just want a good monitor that looks good and behaves well :) Without spending a fortune!

The 24" is goood. :)

Regards,

Alex