HELP WTH MY EVGA 750i FTW

nowayely

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hey, im a little embarrassed asking this but im quite lost.

i finished building my 3rd computer and im using the evga 750i FTW , anyways when i boot up it reads everything and runs but i get an error message in the award post its (7f) and on the screen it says "floppy disk(s) fail (40)" i pushed f1 (to just continue) and i managed to install windows just fine. but everytime i boot up i get the same error. any thoughts?

also when i built it i had problems setting in the CPU fan (socket 775) i got all 3 of the socket , sprues, pins (i dont know what they are called) in placed but i had problems with one of them, would my cpu be ok?

thanks in advance guys!

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
First do you have a floppy drive in your pc?
Second, about the heatsink. One of the pins is not inserted and locked so it does not hold the heatsink to the mobo together with the other three? If this is true, get an aftermarket cooler because bad contact with the cpu heatspreader is the easiest way screw your cpu up.

If you don't have a floppy, disable the floppy drive in the BIOS.
When you inserted the pins, did you insert 2 opposite each other first, with equal pressure, then the other 2? Yeah, these can be a pain and tricky to lock down evenly.

nowayely

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
First do you have a floppy drive in your pc?
no, no floppy drive installed.

When you inserted the pins, did you insert 2 opposite each other first, with equal pressure, then the other 2? Yeah, these can be a pain and tricky to lock down evenly.

yeah i did but the last third one is a pain and im scared of pushing in to hard and damaging the motherboard.

If this is true, get an aftermarket cooler because bad contact with the cpu heatspreader is the easiest way screw your cpu up.
i have and extra socket 775 heatsink/fan from and old build that was never used im thinking about replacing it. i think i might just do it.

golsonkp

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Yes, i have the same problem, Have you managed to get rid of the error. I hate it! I'm pretty computer savy but i stuck.